Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2006 Deer Hunting Contest
 30-Team "Double Lung" Official Thread >

30-Team "Double Lung" Official Thread

Community
2006 Deer Hunting Contest All of your 2006 Deer Hunting Contest info can be found here.

30-Team "Double Lung" Official Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Team 30 Check-In

Yes good luck everyone. Did you get yours scored yet Todd? I think the time of year that I live for ends today. Tomorrow the WI does open the rifle season. In my area it is 23 days of hell. I go out with my Dad this weekend to spend some time with him but as for seeing deer not much goes on. The people south of us shoot EVERYTHING that moves. Really sucks. Doesn't matter if it is buck or doe and since we are in the 4 tags a day and NOT earn a buck all the little ones are sure to be doomed this year. So I pretty much hunt opener to gun opener and then I am done.[:'(]
Old 11-18-2006, 11:14 AM

GOOD HUNT THIS MORN!

I got in the stand this morning and right as i got situated a doe ran right under my stand and trotted off. I couldnt of gotten a shot on her anyway it was still pretty dark and she didnt stop moving. About a half an hour later another doe walked out about 200 yards away from me with two bucks following her. One an 8 for sure, the other was prob an 8 too. About 5 min later the two bucks began to fight. They fought for about 15 min. Then one of them started making a scrape on a low branch. Most buck activity I have seen this season. I had my rifle and my bow in the stand but decided not to shoot the doe with my rifle because I wanted to watch the two bucks. It was an amazing hunt even though nothing went down.

I didnt shoot one ofthe bucks with my rifle because I thought it was right under what I was allowed to shoot.
Old 11-18-2006, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Greetings from the North Country gentleman! This rifle has been decent so far. I took a decent 8 point yesterday morning, but that has been the only buck worth shooting we have seen so far. We have seen 7 different spikes and two forks, so there are definitely some young bucks around. I saw two wolves today, which I haven't seen before, so that was pretty neat. I have to head back to IL tomorow, but back up here on Weds, so perhaps I can tag one bigger one! Weather has been great, little dusting of snow. Good luck to all you guys that are still out!
Old 11-20-2006, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cool guys. I got an 8 with the gun as well. I have not shot a deer with rifle in years and was out with my Dad. I spotted him in the woods (I was in the field) about 275 yards away from one point to the other. Well I have a Rem 700 .30-06 with a 3x9 scope and I have made that shot before so I touched one off. I broke his heart (instead of taking the breath away with an arrow) and he STILL went just over 100 yards. I have a laser range finder to get all the distance. Anyway he rough scored in at 108 but I will do a better job when I get him back from the taxidermy guy. I had to do it as I never know how many more hunts I will be on with my Dad. This was just him and I and will had a great time together.

Todd you get that one of yours scored yet??
Old 11-21-2006, 05:31 PM

Hey guys,
I hope all is well with you. I may have screwed up my chances to score for the team. While hunting a couple of weeks ago, I had two does running by my stand and I voice grunted to stop them. I shot the one that presented the best shot and she piled up 35yds from where I shot her. Well, by the time I climbed down and walked over to her, she had grown a set of balls...turned out I had shot a button buck. Does this count as my first buck kill?
If that wasn't bad enough, myfather-in-law shot the buck I've been hunting all season. The buck has an18 1/2 in. inside spread, 8 1/2 g2s, 6 1/2 in. g3s & brow tines. I don't know what he scores, but hes definitely one worth mounting. My father-in-law knew I was hunting a nicebuck and he cutme off byrifle hunting the trail coming in to where my stand was. Over 300 acres to hunt and he pulls that crap. Talk about being p.o.ed. It is his property, so what can I do...other than knife his tire.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the update. As for the button buck I do not think they count. IF they do then I have seen a couple of other teams that have guys that shot buttons and would have to count them. I am pretty sure that it has to be a LEGAL buck for your state. In WI that is 3 inches on one side or more. Here I would have to register that deer of yours as a doe so that is what it should count as.

As for the big buck keep on trying. Maybe a bigger one is in the area right now and you can get that one. I know how is is but until you put an arrow in it it belongs to anyone. I do feel bad for you but get out and keep at it. Good luck to you.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Greetings gentleman! I'm back from the north country and back to the computer. Lots of deer, just does though. Weather sure was messed up too, we had a high of like 13 one day, then 51 the next. I think I am going to get out a couple more times with the bow though down here in IL to see if I can't get a late season monster or another doe. I'm getting a little burned out though. I haven't hunted this much, ever, I don't think. This coming weekend my brother and I are going steelhead fishing, so that will be a fun change of pace. I also booked my first Canadian whitetail hunt!!!! I'm already excited, not sure how I am going to make until next November. Hope everyone had a good thanksgiving. Take care and good luck!
Old 11-27-2006, 05:50 PM

mike.. where did you book your hunt at. i am also interested in booking a canada whitetail hunt
Old 11-29-2006, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

cnape, we are going to NorthCountry Lodge. It is on Canyon Lake. Should be a good time.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys, I got one with a rifle as well. Probably would have gone 110+ as well as an 8, however he only had one side!! I didn't realize it when I shot (he was 200 yards away), but he was a nice 3.5 year old mature animal. It has been a good year this year so far.

Quick Reply: 30-Team "Double Lung" Official Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.