Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2006 Deer Hunting Contest
 30-Team "Double Lung" Official Thread >

30-Team "Double Lung" Official Thread

Community
2006 Deer Hunting Contest All of your 2006 Deer Hunting Contest info can be found here.

30-Team "Double Lung" Official Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 30-Team "Double Lung" Official Thread

I was presented with a very interesting/tempting offer. The pro-shop owner and I have become friends and he owns somewhere in the neighborhood of 8,000 acres of land. Well, there is one particular piece of farm that he has set aside for stricty deer management. He has offered me a chance to lease this piece of ground for six weeks during this deer season. The cost is $500. The only catch is that there are trophy fees as well. Any deer over 160 incurs additional costs on a set scale. I am battling inside my brain because of the $ part of it. I know that the first $500 for the lease is not a problem right now. The problem is when/if I shoot a big deer, which is damn near guaranteed out there, that I don't think I will be able to put the bread together for it. A 160" deer is $500 more. Plus, any deer of that size I am going to mount, so there is nearly another $500. Any of you guys have advice for me on this situation. My wife is pretty luke warm on the idea, based on the money as well. I have three other properties that I am hunting, but this leased ground is the finest deer country I have ever seen and the pictures of 3 deer over 180" and numerous in the 130-160 range are so hard to pass up. I'm also afraid to pass it up because I don't this to be a situationo of "well, you had your chance" and then not be considered for other offers. Hunting should not be this stressful!!!! All opinions are welcomed!
Old 09-22-2006, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

First off thanks everyone. Yes it is ASAT. I got it for last season and really like it. It has been a very busy season already. I shot a doe on Wednesday and Matt got a 7 point on Thursday. So far I have the velvet buck and a doe, Matt has a Doe, nub with his recurve and a 7 point. We did all that in just 6 days. Going out again this weekend in the rain to try to get Tim a deer. Freezer is looking real good right now.

Mike I really don't know what to tell you. For ME I don't have the money for that. To be invited as a guest for a hunt I think I would do some thing like that. Then if I got lucky enough to get a big one I still might be able to do something for getting it mounted. Good luck to you with your decision. I do agree with you that hunting should NOT be this stressful.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:35 PM
Typical Buck

Aight guys, I have 2 more weeks till season after tomorrow. Im trying to be patient, really I am.

My gosh, I can't hardly wait any longer.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

yooper mike , where you located i would take that deal in a heartbeat
Old 09-24-2006, 06:55 PM

went out and plotted the norwood peice today. I saw a nice buck (too far to tell points) but he had a solid rack. Also saw a doe on the way out.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey everyone. Tomorrow Matt leaves for the Navy and I won't be out hunting again until Oct 21st. We have had a great season so far. Matt added a big old doe to his total on Saturday night so he ended his season with 4 deer in 8 days. I had a chance at another small buck but I didn't shoot. Really need to shoot more does. I saw a total of 23 deer Saturday from 2 different stands and 22 of them were doe. So even though I am done helping theteam I will still be checking in.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

6 days until we open here in IL!!!! My best friend smashed an 11-point last night in Rusk County, WI. Double lunged and he went about 45 yards. He thought it was an 8, but he has a forked G-2 and two 3" kickers on the brow tines. REal nice deer. wihunter, sounds like you guys are stacking up some deer. Good work! Are you able to take another buck? I can't remember how WI works on that. If not, keep getting those does. I sharpened my broadheads last night and they are shaving my arm, so that should be sufficient, now I just need to send them through some fur!
Old 09-25-2006, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cool about your friend. Bet you just can't wait to get out. WI is very strange since I hunt in the CWD Management area. I get up to 4 tags PER DAY and they are good for buck or doe. Now we know we have a big doe problem where we are at. We have a rule in camp that if you see a buck and you want to shoot it that is fine for your FIRST one. After that it must be something big. Now we will make exceptions for unique deer. I NEVER would have shot that 3 point had it not been for the velvet. So for now I will just keep shooting does if I get the chance and then come November I will be big buck hunting only.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just talked to my brother and he went and got the memory card from his trail cam today. He had 85 pictures, every one was of bears. Not a single deer in the pics. All times of day, even at noon there is a sow and cub in there. One of the bears is a monster boar. We have the feeder suspended in a tree and the eye hook is up about 7' or a little more. I'm 6'10" and the bear is licking the hook that I had to raise my arm to put in. He's definitely a giant. Too bad Michigan is so judicious with the bear tags or he could be his! Hopefully he makes it until next year because he is a definitely booner. Biggest one we have ever seen by far, and we had one last year that we thought was a monster! Hopefully the deer show up now though. I can't seem to get the pics to load for some reason...I'll keep trying though.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here are the pics...had to host them somewhere...which is fine.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l3...2006/Bear2.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l3...2006/Bear4.jpg

Enjoy

Quick Reply: 30-Team "Double Lung" Official Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.