HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   2006 Deer Hunting Contest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2006-deer-hunting-contest-79/)
-   -   32- Team S.B.D.: " Silent But Deadly" Official Thread: (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2006-deer-hunting-contest/152793-32-team-s-b-d-silent-but-deadly-official-thread.html)

Arjuna 08-20-2006 11:11 PM

32- Team S.B.D.: " Silent But Deadly" Official Thread:

Alright guys, are you ready? I should be able to hunt in GA before the end of September. Then it's Alabama till the end of January.

Team 32

152. Diesel77
242. Booney160
41. KodiakArcher
342. goalie35
65. deerslayer270
92. krabbiepatty
76. labhunter
292. firemedic_79
62. Arjuna
26. Ohio Bowhunter75

goalie35 08-20-2006 11:19 PM

RE: Official Team 32 Check In Thread

yea i'm ready...hunting in WI begins Sept. 16th...ive got a site with a few nice deer by it.

Diesel77 08-21-2006 04:50 AM

Yeah Im ready to go.

Name is Andy, Im 41, Im married to a real understanding wife, live in Damascus Maryland. I hunt pretty much every day except Sundays (no hunting Sundays in MD) Sept 15th thru the middle of November when gun season comes in for 2 weeks, then its back to bowhunting until the season ends in Jan 31st.

Ive been scouting pretty regularly and have some nice bucks patterned for the early season which starts Sept 15th for Maryland.Last few seasons Ive bagged 140+ bucks so if my luck continues this year will be no different although I probably just jinxed myself.

I'll help carry our teams deadweight (labhunter) lol.
I work with him so that pretty cool we got on the same team. You may see us taking shots at each other butignore most of it or laugh along with us.

labhunter 08-21-2006 04:59 AM

I am ready as well... I am getting another stand location set up this week and have already moved one of my cameras to a different property so that I can get some of these bucks that I have seen on film. I hope to have some good pics soon to share w/ the team. I will be pulling the card out of another camera today in hopes of seeing something that gets me excited. Like Diesel77 September 15th for me too.

krabbiepatty 08-21-2006 08:57 AM

hello guys, I am ready to go also. I live in NC so my bucks here are not monsters, but I have 3 nice 8 pts I have been after since last year. I will start hunting on Sept 9 thru Jan 1 and I have a trip to Illinois planned Nov 11-18 which I am stoked about. I pretty much bow hunt all the time. My wife and kids like to go hunting with me as well. The worst part about hunting around home is that when gun season starts, the dog hunters run dogs all over the top of our still hunting club and it makes it almost impossible to pattern deer at this time. I look forward to being teammates with you guys.

labhunter 08-21-2006 11:38 AM

RE: 32- Team Official Thread

Well I was just trying to get to know the team a little better and was researching previous posts... Arjuna I am a little disappointed in your post where I am quoting you for a post about words or dislikes about hunitng shows. "4.) Fixating about the antler size."

What the team needs from you to fixate on antler size... Just don't let yourself get caught on tape talking about it.

Just kidding around... I hope that the southern branch of team 32 is extreeeeeeemly successfull!!!!

labhunter 08-21-2006 11:45 AM

Anyone have thoughts on a Team name????

Diesel77 08-21-2006 11:47 AM

What the team needs from you to fixate on antler size... Just don't let yourself get caught on tape talking about it.
here here!!! well said labhunter, its all about fixating on antler size Arjuna!

Hope you know we are just messin with ya, doesnt matter to me wether or not you shoot a button buck or a trophy, just get out there and enjoy yourself!! labhunter managed to harvest a real nice tree,and a real hammer of ashed along with the neighbors roof last season.

labhunter 08-21-2006 11:56 AM

Don't be upset because I have to walk 50 yards to a great hunting spot. And you are out of breath when you get to your stand. Remember the biggest buckslive, traveland feed in peoples backyards.... especially when you put out a spread. :D Just don't let Gary near your property

KodiakArcher 08-21-2006 03:53 PM

Hey guys! Well, I was hoping to have us off to an early start since I've been at it since 8/1 but haven't had anything worth tagging this early in the season. We've got until 12/31 up here. Being that I've got the longest season on the team I guess I better be pretty selective. I just hope I don't end up eating tag soup come January!!! If it's a P&Y buck it's getting shot at. My only obstacle is to make sure that my hunting partner, kodiakswildside (Wendy) from Team 9, doesn't shoot it first! I've got 20+ years bowhunting experience on her but she's got that damnable "lady" luck as well as "beginners" luck on her side... No worries, there's plenty of nice bucks up here to go around. We fly out a week from today to find some in the more remote parts of the island. Wish me luck.

Ohio Bowhunter75 08-21-2006 06:09 PM

Well you have an Ohio hunter checking in.Looking forward to this season.We are seeing some great bucks.I put some points on the board last year,lets see if I can put some on this year.

Diesel77 08-21-2006 08:40 PM

Wow, Rob, you have along seasonahead of you being as you start 45 days ahead of us. How sweet is that. Whats the temperature up there now? One of my best friends guides in Alaska, he's been doing it for 20 + years now. He leaves around the end of July and doesnt come back until the end of October. Here is his web site. http://www.grizzlyhunter.com/

Anyway, nice to meet you.

And Ohio Bowhunter75 nice to meet you as well.Great hearingyou have some decent prospects this year.

Arjuna 08-21-2006 09:19 PM

I can take the kidding, but you will probably get some back, too. Until last year, I had a self imposed limit of only taking bucks bigger than the ones I had already taken. Two seasons ago, I shot a 125" buck in Selma, AL. Since then I'm not so sure. The bucks down here are nothuge, but there are some bigs ones roamingsome of the land I am blessed enough to hunt. I missed a 130 class last year (I too, took out a tree instead!) Hopefully, this year will be good. As far as the "fixating on antler size" thing, I just mean that you should be proud of your buck no matter whether it is a "book buck" or not. The hunt is what matters more than the kill, even though I do enjoy that precious moment when a kill is realized, no matter whether the deer is a buck or doe.

I'll work hard for the team...I promise!

goalie35 08-21-2006 10:05 PM

O yea, i forgot to introduce myself in my previous post. Im Alex from Wisconsin. My uncle is going to let me hunt by his house this season and he said he had 3 bucks and a doe in the backyard the other day. 2 of the bucks are twins! Identical 8 pointers last year they were. I'm going to scout out the stands this week. Ill let u guys know if I see 'em when Im out there...

Diesel77 08-22-2006 05:18 AM

Here is the list of whos checked in, highlighted names have checked in.3 MIA's. Still need a team name and a team captain. Unless anyone wants the job, we can think of an alternative way to pick someone. I nominate Labhunter!!

152. Diesel77
242. Booney160
41. KodiakArcher
342 goalie35
65. deerslayer270
92. krabbiepatty
76. labhunter
292. firemedic_79
62. Arjuna
26. Ohio Bowhunter75

KodiakArcher 08-22-2006 03:38 PM

What's everyone shooting this year? I see that Diesel's pretty well loaded up on Hoyts. I'll be using:
'06 BowTech Old Glory
Sure Loc Lethal Weapon 2M
NAP QT4000
A/C Superslim 340
NAP 125 gr. Spitfire
If the BowTech fails me I'll go to the Hoyt UltraTec as my back up bow.

Hey Diesel, what exactly does the team captain do? Maybe we should go by most eager to sign up (#26. Ohio Bowhunter75) Just a thought...:D

Team names (I don't know what's been used before so I'm just throwing stuff out there):
Cervid Slayers
Deer's Demise
Rack Addicts
Venison Stew

goalie35 08-22-2006 04:23 PM

Ok guys, how 'bout "Silent but Deadly" for a team name? 'Cause much like most farts, bow hunters are also silent but deadly...

KodiakArcher 08-22-2006 05:17 PM

:D "Team SBD"

Ohio Bowhunter75 08-22-2006 06:26 PM

I'm not picky about the name,myself.That is fine with me.I just hope we have some fun and get a few bucks on the board this season.I was just looking at 16 acres that adjoins the property I hunted last year.It has a natural funnel right thru the center of it.As well as a nice field that will make a great food plot.I going to make an offer on it.We are seeing some great bucks in the same area.:D

KodiakArcher 08-22-2006 06:29 PM

Best of luck on the offer! Get us a good one! :)

Diesel77 08-22-2006 07:45 PM

ORIGINAL: goalie35

Ok guys, how 'bout "Silent but Deadly" for a team name? 'Cause much like most farts, bow hunters are also silent but deadly...
hahahaha I like it!!! Im cool with whatever, maybe wait until the others check in until we make a final decision on the name but so far thats my #1 choice.

As far as the team captain, there isnt much to it except for making sure we post our bucks properly, bow, buck and hunter in the pics. Making sure we have everyone checked in and getting subs in the event some people dont check in etc ....
Yeah, Ohio Bowhunter was #29 on the whole list, I think thats a great idea if hes up for it.

goalie35 08-22-2006 10:21 PM

ok, so are we going with the full "Silent but Deadly" of "Team SBD" ?

Ohio Bowhunter75 08-23-2006 06:27 AM

I forgot to say what I'm shooting. I shooting a 2004 Hoyt magna tec w/cam 1.5,wisker bisq.,Beman ICS 340's tipped with Thunderhead 100's,viewed thru a toxonics fiber optic sight. I try to keep my set up simple and as trouble free as possible.This set up cost less than many new bows,but has always gotten the job done.I'm looking forward to a fun season with a few on the ground.

KodiakArcher 08-23-2006 11:07 AM

Looking at last year's results, if we all shoot a marginal 8 point or big 6 point we should come out on top pretty handily. Ten bucks scoring 88 would have won last year. No teams that I saw turned in ten bucks, there's something to shoot for!

Ohio Bowhunter75, you forgot to say whether you were interested in being team captain. If not I'd say that Diesel77 has experience from last year and seems to know the ins and outs as well as checks in to stay on top of things pretty regular... What say ye?

krabbiepatty 08-23-2006 02:23 PM

I am shooting a Switchback XT...Whisker Biscuit rest. I have a Foxfire TP sight on it right now but I am thinking of switching to a Vital Gear sight. I have just started using Maxima 350 arrows and bought some G5 Montecs a couple weeks ago and they fly GREAT. I will stick with them for hunting this year. Oh yeah , my name is Kevin. My nephews called me Krabbin which evolved into krabbiepatty (spongebob squarepants cartoon) so that is how my name happened. Good luck to everyone.

Ohio Bowhunter75 08-23-2006 04:28 PM

I thought the name was most likely spounge bob related.I have two boys,so I've seen it alot over the years.
As far as team captain goes,What ever the group decides is fine with me.
My team finished 2nd last year,but still got our butts kicked.To many no kills.I settled for an 8 pt last year right before the gun season,just for the team points.It was the first 8 pt I had shot in years.I normally will hold out for atleast a 10 pt. and P&Y minimum.

Ohio Bowhunter75 08-23-2006 05:01 PM

I sent e-mails out to our three lost sheep.

deerslayer270 08-23-2006 05:56 PM

im here guys..soprry about that...i cant frggnwait for this season to start..... im startin to shake:D

firemedic_79 08-23-2006 08:28 PM

Hello everyone. I wasn't expecting teams to be picked until Sept 1st. What a cool surprise. I'm in Missouri, hunting in a county with a rule of at least 4 points on one side. I took my biggest deer last year netting 108". Not big by midwest standards, but big enough to get my blood pumping. Season here is Sept 15 - Jan 31. Hunting with a 2005 Diamond Victory, Carolina WB, Trophy Ridge Matrix V-drive sight, Easton Axis 400 arrows with Montec 100gr broadheads. I have jumped several bucks setting stands and cameras the past few weeks, and actually went to look at leasing an additional 210 acres this evening. I will hopefully get some camera pics soon that I can post on our discussion board. In regard to the team name, Team SBD is fine with me if everyone likes it.

Arjuna 08-23-2006 08:58 PM

Team Silent But Deadly is finewith me.

Diesel77 08-24-2006 05:06 AM

Sweet, just have one mia now. Is everyone cool with Ohio being the captain or do you want a vote or something? And is Ohio cool with being our captain? I would be happy if Ohio chooses to be our fearless leader

firemedic_79 08-24-2006 08:15 AM

I am fine with Ohio as our captain.

labhunter 08-24-2006 08:34 AM

I am cool w/ SBD and Ohio....

I am shooting aPerket Ultralite 31 GT XT's 110g Thunderheads.. Muzzy 0 Effect dropaway. I am extreemly psyched about this season... Ready to roll. I have seen a few nice deer just have yet to get them on my stealthcam.... I bet I will once I start feeding them

firemedic_79 08-24-2006 08:48 AM

Krabbie:

Where are you going to be hunting in Illinois?

krabbiepatty 08-24-2006 10:38 AM

I am cool with the name (SBD)and the captain (Ohio)

firemedic: I amgoing to Ill Nov 11-18 .... counting down the days until then. :D

firemedic_79 08-24-2006 10:57 AM

Krabbie:

I was asking which part of Illinois? Pike County? North? South? Are you using an outfitter?

Ohio Bowhunter75 08-24-2006 01:32 PM

I guess I will lead us on to victory. I'm glad too see a couple check ins.Only one mia,thats not too bad.
I'm also cool with the team name.

krabbiepatty 08-24-2006 03:58 PM

Firemedic: ooopps, you said where not when. I will be in Adams County not far from Pike County. I am going in with some more guys to get a farm for a week. No outfitter. We scout it and hang our own stands and everything.

KodiakArcher 08-24-2006 04:29 PM

Looks like things are shaping up awesome. Now I just need to go find that 100" blacktail (167 points) to get us kicked into high gear! Sounds like our reindeer/blacktail hunt is going to turn into a deer only hunt; the reindeer are being evasive and inaccessible.

Ohio Bowhunter75 08-24-2006 05:13 PM

Kodiak,I will give you this,you are in one of the few truely natural places left on earth.We have destroyed most of them.Maybe one day I will be able to hunt Alaska.Heck, just to see it would be a dream come true.