Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2006 Deer Hunting Contest
 (20) Official Team "XX" Thread >

(20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Community
2006 Deer Hunting Contest All of your 2006 Deer Hunting Contest info can be found here.

(20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: (20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Quick,

Its really warming up here during the days. 40 degree temps. The snow is melting forsure. Elevation varies so much in this country though that 2500 can be warm and melting while 4500 may be were the snowline holds. The majority of the sheds I found were all at about 3000-3500.

In the bottoms, especially in the Norths...the snow is deep. I was in up to 2 feet yesterday while ascending and descending off a mountain from the southern side that was void in the higher faces, I needed snow shoes at times. I cant enter these areas form the southern bases because its all private down there.

There are always a handful of big sheds burried under that snow pack. The older bucks start dropping back around Xmas in those northsand then the shedsgetcoveredwith Jan's snow.So for now I'm shedhunting all the souths and will go back to those norths..in March.

The best sheds I have found so far would be a 3.5 year old set (both around 61-62 inches)and a single 4x side which I believe is a 4.5 year old.. good mass..broken up..but heavy. Its a spitting image to a 3.5 year old shed I found in there last year. I ran out of daylight and will get back in there this weekend to try to find the other side to that hvy 4x. I actually found it stuck in a bush and took some great photos..that I will include in my latest journal.

The coyotes are picking up the sheds and packing them/chewing them upand laying them on top of the snow too. I picked up two 4x sidesyesterday that had been chewedbadly and had fresh yote tracks all around them..no deer tracks, I took photos of this. One of the sheds was laying on top of18 inchesof snow, the yote tracks were right on top and twice the yote had laid down,leaving body indentationswhere he was chewing on the shed.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:37 PM
Typical Buck

Hey Guys - we are home - Connor got to come home on Saturday with us. He was 7# 1oz on discharge - went in today for check and weigh and he was 6# 15oz - he should start gaining! - tough to keep him awake to eat enough though - he gets his tummy partially full and falls asleep!

Saturday was tough - he kept waking up every 15 minutes or so - so there was no sleep at all - last night was much better, he would pretty much sleep until it was time to eat again. I did not get much sleep though - was the same with Garrett - slept soo light I virtually did not sleep (keep waking up to listen to him breathe).

Hopefully he will get the routine here pretty quickly. - I will try to get some more pic's posted - or e-mailed to Ryan in the next couple of days.

Mike
Old 02-12-2007, 03:23 PM

Snow system coming in tonight again.. should dumpanother 6 inches on top of the 4 inches we still have from last week.. Finally saw temps in the 30's for the first time in a month.. Felt like short weather out there.. But low of -8 forcasted for Wed. night... Spring will come eventually right?

Great news on the munchkin Mike.. I'm sure he will start gaining the weight soon and start being a force to be reckoned with in no time.I came a bit bit early myself and slept much of the first month of my life... Was smaller than he was.. Now I need to shed a few pounds.. My little one has been keeping us up of late. I appear to have given him an infection somehow (I say me because I have had the same killer swollen tonsils that he has now) and it has been kicking my arse for 2 weeks now.. Had some lovely 105 degree temps did he but he seems to be pulling out of it and is his cheerfull demanding self again.. .

I still will watch my almost 4 year old and listen to her breath and my brother in law is like that with his 7 year old.. I dunno, its gotta be chemical, lol.

Old 02-12-2007, 05:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Troy,
Yea I am excited about the trad thing. Some of those bows are so pretty though, more like art than a functional hunting tool. I think a big draw for me is I hunted my 1st 2 years with a recurve and missed a few shots. Its like unfinished business. I found so much time to shoot last year prepping for elk, I know given that same amount of time with the trad stuff, I can get ready.

Fran,
Yea the funny part is that I could probably get all geared up with face paint and loin cloth and I don't even think my neighbors would be suprised. They'd just be like, yea that nutty neighbor guy is at it again. I hope to get loretta shooting some with me. I bought her a bow a while back but I messed up, its over bowed for her so its tough to shoot. I need to get lighter limbs.

MIke,
Glad everybody is home, hope you all can get some sleep.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:10 PM

I have like it the few times I have shot trad and got pretty decent pretty fast as far as left to right accuracy.. My up and down, welll... Not so good.. It is fun, it is something I wish I would dedicate myself too with the true end goal of making a self bow out of the Osage Orange wood we have on this farm (Bois D'arc).. I have shot some and it is even more "something".. Hard to explain but it was cane arrows and everything.. This guy was a bit hardcore, lol.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:54 PM
Typical Buck

Anthony - I still like hearing G breathe - he is 5.5 now - just one of those comforting sounds! hope you all get feeling better - the only worse thing than feeling crappy is when the little ones are (leave you feeling totally helpless)

I was threatning to get my recurve down for the past two years and only hunt with that for a season. Shot and hunted for 12 years or so completely bare bow - and have shot the one I have now bare also - but it is just a little more skiddish!

Better get back - almost feeding time again! Talk to you more later
M
Old 02-14-2007, 07:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well boys, I'm officially getting old.

Last night, the Pittsburgh area got hit with a pretty big snowstorm, so I burned a couple hours of vacation time, got off work 2 hours earlyand headed up the mountain to ski the powder. Holy Moly - when I topped the mountain, there was 12-20" of fresh champagne powder. Almost buried the car twice in snowdrifts, but we got there, saw a couple minor accidents.

Maybe 50 ppl on theentire resort.We went nuts, blasting down the hills like a pair of total psychos. They had $1 beers in the lodge, and $8 lift tix with a coupon - the best ski deal ever.

They only had a couple guys out on ski patrol, so we pretty much just did whatever we wanted - built a huge jump and went crazy. I got jacked up good a couple times, just being stupid, but the powder cushioned the fall.

I'm so stinkin' sore today I can barely move.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:33 AM

Yep.. Lnow the feeling.. Know the feeling.. WE got.. I don't know either 0 inches yesterday or 5 feet depending on where the wind decided to deposit the snow.. Hoping no critters got buried in a drift.

Old 02-14-2007, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rybo, You dig into that pocket book yet... when you do I want to see pics of the new bow!

Mike, glad to hear the little guy is continuing to do better and better. Get some sleep when you can!

Quick, your an official "IRON BALL" as us native N.I. would tag you... thats props in these parts..! Hey best of luck with the BAR exam... not the 1 dollar/beer version .. sounds like you already slam dunked that one

IL, hope all is well with the critters and snow out there.. I see NY is really getting blasted!

Snow's melting here, sheds are on the ground, lady titans are 9-2 stole another close one last night.. Peace out brothers!
Old 02-14-2007, 06:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Troy,
I got the cash burning a hole in my pocket. It'll probably be another week or 2 depending on if I get time to make about a 40-45min drive to check out this other trad only shop. I don't feel like driving that far when this new one is 15 minutes from me. When I do spring for one, I'll be posting the pics. BTW when you were talking about seeing moose, elk and deer while shed hunting, it made me miss Idaho.

Fran,
When you are done with the BAR we got to go out and celebrate.

Il rancher
That wind is crazy. I live in a place that gets hit with drifts and today my neighbor plowed my driveway, few hours later when I got home, you couldn't even tell, causeit was blown back over.

Quick Reply: (20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.