Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2006 Deer Hunting Contest
 (20) Official Team "XX" Thread >

(20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Community
2006 Deer Hunting Contest All of your 2006 Deer Hunting Contest info can be found here.

(20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 03:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: (20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Quick congrats on the buck. That's theway to keep us in it.

AR that is a great looking buck.

Well guys I am seeing deer. I have been out 4 times and seen over 30 total. I have watched a couple bucks in the 110" to 120" walk buy but they did not have any mass only 1.5 years old. I did see a real nice buck at just about dark on friday evening but it was not in shooting range. I would put him about 145" but not for sure. I don't have much time left gun season opens on saturday and the big ones go nocturnal. I will be out almost every day this week trying to seal the deal but who knows. If I don't get one this week I am most likly going to keep the bow in hand for gun season. I will give it my best effort. Don't count me out just yet. Good luck to all and be safe.

William
Old 11-12-2006, 05:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the kind words fellas. That wasn't the class of deer that I'd envisioned, but with PA's screwballed rules, I had to take him. He's meat in the freezer I guess. I cooked up the sweet meat yesterday evening, and it was spectacular. I've really been brewing lately about our archery season ending two full weeks before rifle season begins, and the lack of Sunday hunting,but I guess that's the hand we're dealt. I was getting all philosophical about it earlier, and if your wildlife management programs aim to increase the age structure of the herd, and they're trying to get guys to take mature deer, then doesn't it make the most sense to give hunters the most opportunity to harvest those mature bucks, by giving them more time to do it? I feel like I just ran out of time, and had to take a smaller buck, at a time when the big bucks were finally starting to show themselves on a more regular basis. It just defeats the purpose.

I apologize again for the horrible pictures, like I said, I had a chance to take more pics Saturday morning, but the head was already cut off, and he had the hide already off the body. His right side was pretty nice, but his left side beyond the g2 was just a palmated paddle that stuck practically straightup and had a nub of a g3. In both pictures, you can barely see it, because I held the better side out.

Today I went down to search for some closure on the Mr. October saga, and got none. I had the metal detector out, and I scoured the bank that I shot down into. No arrow. That confirms my suspicion that I heard the arrow make impact, and that he took it with him. I feel awful. I scoured the place, but the thickets are so thick and there are so many places that he could've gone. Cold, wet and miserable, I packed it in for the evening and came home to shower and watch some football.

William - sounds like you're on some hoss deer - I know you'll get to pull the trigger sooner or later.

I'm confident that we'll be able to win this thing again. It's only a matter of time for us.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:18 PM

QUICK - Congrats on the buck! That does kinda stink that bow season ends so soon and no hunting on Sundays??? If that were the same here in Michigan, I would've only been able to hunt one day a week (Saturday) this year. All in all, you were still able to add some points. Hopefully, you will get some closure with Mr. October.

Yes...I saw Lady Forge's buck - WOOOOOOOOOOOW!!! That thing gives a whole new meaning to MASS!
Old 11-12-2006, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats Quik, nice buck. I know the feeling on the gun season fast approching. I knew my hunting was coming to a close soon too. Gun season opens on the 15th here, and I was feeling the same way.

Us bow hunters take the chance of the Mr October deal. You put the time in to find him and thats about all we can do. Sometimes these things happen and that is the chance we take as bow hunters. I vowed after the first deer I lost that I would be sure I was on the top of my game the next season. Many 3d shoots and indoor leagues was my "fine tune" for hunting season, and still I have made mistakes, or even the great shot has proven not enough. You never know, you may see him again!

good luck guys,
Mark
Old 11-12-2006, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not to take anything away from Lady Foge and the beautiful buck, but did anyone note the kill shot? I did not notice it untill I printed it for the guys at work, then you wonder what went wrong when you have no blood and no deer to find after a good kill shot. I am happy for her she found that buck.
Normaly I would not care, but was just thinking about Quik's deer when I was looking over the pic.

Best of luck, GGGOOOOOO TEAM XX

Old 11-13-2006, 12:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

So, who is the next XX'er to step up and pull us closer to or into the lead? I haven't heard fromShed or Mike lately, but I'd bet they're on deer if they're hunting. BigDaddy and Hoosier have both been having a lot of action too. Anthony said he was planning on getting out too with the recent snow in IL. We're chipping away at the lead, and right now, it looks like we trail by only 125".

I think this year, if the chips fallin our favor,we could easily go 10/10.

As weird as it is, I just like having our own forum to talk amongst ourselves, so if we win it all again, we're guaranteeing that we'll stay together for another full year. That, and the fact that I have a few buddies who want Huntingnet hats.[8D]

My money is on William. He's the next guy coming down to the wire on the end of archery season.
I think Troy is biding his time until the rifle pressure slacks off, which might take a couple weeks. Mike are you on vacation, or do you have some vacation time coming up?

By the way, all Team XX members are cordially invited to deer camp in Warren County, PA from 11/26-29 for a few days of PA rifle hunting. I'll be up there running deer/dragging and I might fill a doe tag if I see one in the right spot (an easy drag).As it stands right now, I think we only have 4 or 5 guys going.Camp sleeps 15.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm with you Fran, I don't want to be on a new team to talk to. I like this group of guys we have now. With as many people as we got left, we really should be able to take over the lead again. Are you going to do any gun hunting down where we went spotting?

AR,
Is there a post in her team thread about where she hit it, I didn't look too close but couldn't tell from the entry pic.

Old 11-13-2006, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys, I just wanted to let you know that you more around 320 points from the lead. We have two more deer down that just have not been entered yet. Im just letting you know so you know what to shoot for Good luck to the rest of you. Lots of big deer being taken the last week.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Wheatley

Hey guys, I just wanted to let you know that you more around 320 points from the lead. We have two more deer down that just have not been entered yet.
Gee thanks for whizzing on our parade LOL
Old 11-13-2006, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am sorry, I just couldn't help myself.[]

Quick Reply: (20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.