Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2006 Deer Hunting Contest
 (20) Official Team "XX" Thread >

(20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Community
2006 Deer Hunting Contest All of your 2006 Deer Hunting Contest info can be found here.

(20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: (20) Official Team "XX" Thread

No, Troy lol. I have the rack and will take a GOOD pic with the digital and post a pic of the rack later this evening. I dug out the rack of the dink I got last year and held them side to side......wow, Ishot avery small buck last year lol.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Get with the program Dave. Troy and I are bored at work, and we want to look at dead animals, so get scootin. [>:]
Old 11-02-2006, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dave, lol..ok..man like Fran said..we need some eye candy at work.

You do have one with your bow...for the contest right??? please say yes...ok Dave I see it in the pic...No problem..sorry about the camera probs...

Troy
Old 11-02-2006, 04:10 PM
Fork Horn

Dave congrats on the kill. It is a great feeling to kill the biggest buck you have ever killed, and to do it with a bow. That is what I did last year. Oh buy the way what does it score or do you have it scored yet. We need to see those pics you are killing us.

This weekend is going to be nice around my neck of the woods so I hope to put on down. The only thing not in my favor is the full moon. Good luck to all and be safe.

LETS GO XX.

William
Old 11-02-2006, 04:14 PM
Fork Horn

I was watching the DVD from last year and so far everyone has improved on their kill from last year so lets keep it up guys. Also the second highest score was only 435 5/8 last year so we are very much still in this thing and I am ready for a repeat. Good luck guys.

William
Old 11-02-2006, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Howdy buds,

Old Yeller lives! I had him tonight at 20 yards broadside, full draw.... no shot.

let me explain. I went into one of my ground blinds. One I made by literally tearing saplings out of the ground in this extremely thick patch of timber, pretty much inpenetratable.

I got home from work and hustled through the shower, outside, got dressed grabbed the bow and quad and headed up behind my place. I parked the quad (mike right where you had your spike bull) on the logging road. I hiked up the road over the top of the ridge and dropped down a steep fire trail down into where I have this natural ground blind set up. Its a high bank of an old logging road that intersects with two other old logging roads. The timber and brush in every direction it sick thick!

I set up quietly, knocked an arrow and after about 5 minutes let out 4 or 5 soft subtle doe grunts. Then followed it up with a couple aggressive buck grunts. Using my rattling antlers I thumped them on the ground like deer moving around, chasing a bit. I paused for about 3 minutes and listened. Right off I heard a big thrashing down in the brush below my ground blind. Down in the thick stuff. I thought well at least I didnt fall and deaf ears! Maybe a good one will come up out of that thick bottom.

Everything got quiet as the sleet kept coming down, so I waited a bit and begin thumping the rattling antlers on the ground mimicking deer walking/chasing. I followed this with a few grunts and then started into a rattling session. I rattled moderately for about 45 seconds and then finished with the sound of deer scampering again as I thumped the antlers on the ground. I let out a couple more soft social doe grunts and stopped. All got quiet as the evening daylight was coming to an end.

Darkness started to move in, especially in the extremely thick canopy of my ground blind. out in front of me was much brighter. I could barely see my pins back in that dark hole. I begin to put my quiver back on and was going to pack it in for the night when I glanced directly in front of me where I had heard the noise about 45 minutes earlier. A big body materialized out of nothing here he came through the thick vegetation then out in the open into the tall timothy grass next to the old logging skid trail. Then he steps out in the open just walking right at me! I couldnt believe it. All I could see was a big wide wide frame! He is danged wide! 2 feet ...

I thought here I go, I am gonna wait ....wait I told myself..He closed into 20 yards walking right across my face. He was below me about10 feetand 20 yards out. I go to full draw, he immediatly looks right at me! I have him...he just stands and stares at me. I go to look through my peep and its too dark to make out my top pin. I open both eyes, hes just standing there staring. I just stared through my peep back..both eyes open... I drop my bow down about 3 inches and can see my pin then once its below his body I move the pin back up on his body and again I can't see it clearly. I mean I can make it out but its blurry...

Suddenly he springs straight sideways about 10 feet and stops, looks directly back at me broadside again! At this time I tell myself DONT SHOOT..DONT FORCE IT!... so I just sit there at full draw. He waits about 5 more seconds whirls and jumps over the cut bank of the old skid trail. He crashes down through the brush...GONE...

It was good to see him. There is one other buck in there that is wide like Yeller but has obvious short 5ths..unless this buck was one I have never saw...and after watching my video of him again..his frame is so distinct..I am convinced its him...if it isnt..well I am fortunate to have this one around too! I will back in that same ground blind in less than 10 hours. Wish me luck in the morning guys!

I dont have to show up to work until 9 am, no students tomorrow...so I will chat with ya ll tomorrow..I know I am long winded..probably wont change.. LOL
Old 11-02-2006, 08:23 PM
Typical Buck

That was too cool! - glad you held off on the shot! as tough as that sometimes is to do! - will pay off in the end (hopefully in about 10.5 hours!)

Just leaving work - will talk to you tomorrow!

Mike
Old 11-02-2006, 08:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds awesome Troy! Go get em!!! Good luck in the morning, I have the day off tomorrow, so I can hunt all day. I wanted to get one more day in with the bow before the orange coats come out this weekend. I will be hunting all weekend too, but I am not sure if I will have my bow or my shotgun. I have a gun license for this weekend, but I am kind of partial to the bow. I will be hunting this weekend with the land owner of my hunting spot. Goodluck to everyone, lets play some catch up!!
Old 11-02-2006, 08:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Dave,
Yea post a score when you get it done. Congrats again, I bet you are still smiling over that baby.

Troy,
Oh man, so close that had to be insane. Good luck tomorrow.

Old 11-02-2006, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm trying to get the pics loaded, but keeps telling me file too large? i scored it today at 81 7/8.

Quick Reply: (20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.