Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2006 Deer Hunting Contest
 (20) Official Team "XX" Thread >

(20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Community
2006 Deer Hunting Contest All of your 2006 Deer Hunting Contest info can be found here.

(20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: (20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Button,

Thanks bud, pics of the house, I have a ton..and rattling antlers..I know I know..you guys thanks for your patience... This house is about finished ..I once the work list quite taking up ALL of my time.. I will finally settle back into a normal routine and get things in order here on HNI... I haven't hunted much lately, I cant stand to leave my wife home slaving away alone...just can't do it..she's a keeper though, she told me to hunt tonight...no matter what..I am going to visit Old Yellers area..

Old 09-11-2006, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ole Yeller...thats the hog you were after last year, right? I'm in no hurry for the antlers, when you get time, you get time. I'm so busy now with work, kids back in school, mowing the 2 acre yard, remodeling a bathroom, and trying to shoot my bow. Life comes at ya fast huh lol. Good luck on that buck, I still have 20 days.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:01 PM
Typical Buck

Troy - got your e-mail fine and responded WOOO HOOO I am getting pumped!!

Been keeping most of my bugling to the confines of the tahoe - have some strange looks though (people must think - wow - toking on a bong while driving down the freeway - it takes all kinds!!) - doing the hoochie koochie - and my mouth calls are sounding less like turks and more like what I envision an elk would sound like (or at least an 800 lb turkey)

Quick - sorry to hear about the shoulder - when you get to be an old man like me - the entire arm will just pop off! I have not had a shoulder seperated before - have had a severly strained (but not tore) rotater cuff which was a major pain in the butt (shoulder region of the butt that is). That took a long time to fully recover and I was constantly messing it up.

Check out the mayo clinic website - they may have some helpfull info on that (they did have some good stuff for tendonitis).

Troy - best of luck tonight

Better run and try to get some work done.

Mike
Old 09-11-2006, 12:06 PM
Typical Buck

Sorry - I started the last post before I noticed you were hunting Ole Yeller - hoperully tomorrow we will all have a good cry hearing that Ole Yeller has been shot!!

The tears are starting to well up...
Old 09-11-2006, 12:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Our football games aren't really that brutal. We only play flag/tackle football - which means that you can get somebody down by either taking their flag or tackling them. We usually go for the flag, but I was coming around a blocker, and had the best shot at just tripping him up by the foot. More of a freak thing than anything else. Nobody ever gets too physical, just enough contact to get some blocking and make it a little interesting. It's basically the same set of rules that we played by in intramural league at school (minus the tackling).

Dave - at P.T. what exercises did you do? I was talking to the doc, and he said to get one of those elastic bands and start doing arm-raising exercises in a few days. Seriously, what kind of guy drags out his own physical therapy regimen just because he has a hot therapist??? [>:] ...and you guys wonder why the cost of healthcare is soaring...

Bulls are bugling guys.. If I pick you guys up early enough we will try calling one in right behind my place Friday evening...
I can see it now - Mike, Patand Ryan trying to bribe the flight attendant to tell the pilot to "Step on it."

Troy - is there a particular time of day or night when the bulls do most of their bugling, or do they just do it randomly all day and all night?

...and don't sweat it aboutthe antlers Chief. Spend your spare time scouting for Mike Pat and Ryan and working on the casa. It's hunting season - you have the entire offseason to spend on those.

Mike - I was talking to Ryan and he says you guys are ready to go.

Man, I really hope you guys get on some bulls next week. I'm excited just to hear how things are going - the rest of us guyswill be hunting vicariously through you fellas.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

Dave - at P.T. what exercises did you do? I was talking to the doc, and he said to get one of those elastic bands and start doing arm-raising exercises in a few days. Seriously, what kind of guy drags out his own physical therapy regimen just because he has a hot therapist??? [>:] ...and you guys wonder why the cost of healthcare is soaring...
LOL...I'll tell ya what kinda guy does that...a 17 year old with a 25 year old therapist that looks like Nicole Eggert. [8D]

Seriously,they had me do reps with 2lb weights...kinda like making a snow angel lol. I also did the elsatic band. It helped alot. Throw the no pain no gain out the window when it comes to your shoulder. Take it easy and get better for bow season. I know the pain of the health insurance crunch, I don't go to the doctor unless I have a broken bone sticking out now.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:43 PM

In highs school I messed up a knee and reqired a couple months of pt.. some of which was done by a good looking 22 or so year old nurse which basically amounted to deep muscle massages of the muscles around the kneee.. If the HMO would still pay for it I would still be going although she is probably 40 by now but maybe they replaced here...

I seperated my left shoulder in 94 at NU when I was plying soe snow football which was full contact/no pads but the sliding on the snow tended to lesson the impact... That being said I almost tore every ligament in my right ankle playing one of thosse games in 95... You would think I would learn? The shoulder didn't take too long to heal up though, I was being an idiot playing football again 3-4 weeks later without any real pain.. I am sure if I tok a hit like the firstone it would have been bad but I was a shifty QB that rarely got hit square and was lucky enough t enver hurt myself playing defense.

Old 09-11-2006, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mike, got your email, everything sounds great. Your ready to rock and roll.

Quick, bulls bugle in the evenings, mornings and a lot after dark. Just like with turkey hunting I will put them to bed in after last light in the evenings or get up at 2-3 am and locate them before hand.

With this weather cooling off, we should be able to get some bulls talking Friday evening before dark. Satellite bulls in this country will often slip in quiet..

We will be hunting public lands mostly. Big enough to find a quiet spot though.

Hey Mike, Pat Ryan, is there anything in particular that you guys do not like as far as food goes? Dee is making up a shopping list for Costco

Dinners look like this... Brautworst/Spagetti, Baked chicken, Lasagna, Burgers, Tacos, Roast..I just wanna make sure we are not making something you all dont care for...dont be shy, let us know..

Pack lunches in our day packs the night before... I have a feeling we will stay out all day when we are hunting over an hour from my place... When we hunt at my home we will slip back down the mountain for lunches...

9 days of hunting guys! WHOOOOOO WHOOOOOOO

Rubber boots for the most part suck for elk hunting.. make sure you have a good hiking boot.. I know you guys have..I am just being anal...sorry.. LOL

LMAO..at you guys bugling and cow calling back in Iowa and PA... JUST RIGHT... tell em your headed for Idaho and you have a date with an 800 screamer... in Gods country!

I can't wait guys!

as far as calling goes.... Bull bugles are important.. but not as important as chuckles, CAN YOU CHUCKLE? LOL ...and cow calling..

Old 09-11-2006, 09:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

All sorts of things to comment on. Lets see

Troy,
Good luck getting after ol yeller, I will eat anything, I can't do the chuckles real well, cow calling I feel good about. Bratwurst and tacos on a menu for a buch of guys who need to be worried about scent....hhmmmm

Fran,
Bummer on the shoulder man, at least you weren't just being a wuss and complaing for no reason.I know you guys were complaining about it being a slow night but I thought things were pretty good. That's a good area down there.

BBM,
I'd have been making up injuries with slow rehabs for a nicole eggert look alike

Old 09-12-2006, 09:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Brats, Tacos, Lasagna - you guys are making me HUNGRY. There are some raviolis in my lunchbag right now, and their days are numbered. Lunchtime can't come fast enough.

That's definitely awesome that you guys will be able to locate the bulls at night for the following day's hunt. That's one of the things that gets me going in turkey season, just knowing that you have a big tom roosted, and that he'll be in there in the a.m. I guess when you grow up only whitetail hunting, you kinda forget that there are four-legged critters out there that you can locate by calling. Hopefully y'all will be able to get on em early and often.

In deer hunting news, I did get another lock-on hung up on Saturday morning. 18' from platform to ground, but it's on the downhill edge of a cornfield, on a little bench that borders a heavy bedding area. I got stuck hanging the stand facing at an awkward angle b/c it was slim pickings on finding a suitable tree. The field edge is overgrown with small maples and scrub brush that is all too small to hang a stand in, so I had to make due. I cut out some holes through the leaf cover, and It looks like I'll have one good, clear lane into the field. It's an after-work evening hunt, so I probably won't be spending too much time in there - maybe a couple hours per week. There are several good trails heading into this field, so at a minimum, I'm hoping that this set will give me a good view of the entire field, and let me know what is coming into the field, and where - at which point, I can zero in. The problem with this set is that if the deer are up near the crown of the field, they're at eye-level - I couldn't go any higher b/c the tree isn't really all that big.

Good news on the shoulder today - feeling much better - still a little weak and there's some twinge with overhead reaching. I should be back at 100% sooner than I thought. As sore as it was yesterday, I was preparing myself for a long, arduous rehab, but it looks like things weren't as glim as doc made them out to be.

Quick Reply: (20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.