HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My Crossbow Pics
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2007, 05:42 AM
Arthur P
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: My Crossbow Pics

There's a notch on the bottom of the rolling nut that the end of the tickler (trigger)fits into. When you squeeze the handle up it pivots around the retaining screw (that screw right behind the side plate)andmoves the end of the tickler out of the notch. That allows therolling nut to roll forward andreleases the string. Very simple.

The safety is nothing more than anail that goes into a hole I drilled in the tiller (stock), situated to keep the tickler from moving when the weapon is cocked. That's why it's a trigger block style safety.

I've got another tiller made that uses a notch lock. When cocked, the string fits into a notch. When you squeeze the tickler, it forces a pin up into the notch. That pin pushes the string out of the notch and fires the weapon. I'm not sure, but I think that's the most primitive lock style. I want to try to keep a wood prod on that one, but I keep breaking them.

I'm going to have to order some sinew and sinew back the next one I make. Maybe that will hold it together.

Alchem has plans for both types of lock on their website.Free.