HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   2005 Deer Hunting Contest (Bow) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2005-deer-hunting-contest-bow-72/)
-   -   Official Team Archery Addicts (26) Thread (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2005-deer-hunting-contest-bow/108816-official-team-archery-addicts-26-thread.html)

PA Bow/Flinter 11-08-2005 06:41 PM

RE: Official Team 26 Thread

Hey guys,heres a link to the full story for your viewing plessure.
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1286902

hunter25 11-10-2005 06:31 AM

Congrats, .308

Boy, wouldn't you know it...had the whole week off of work to hunt, EXCEPT for today. It's only 32 degrees out this morning, w/ a light NW wind...just absolutely perfect for me...oh well. I've tomorrow, the weekend and next Wednesday before Shotgun Season starts here in IL.

I did have an opportunity to shoot at a nice deer, but he had one of his antler's gone. It was either 6 or 7 points on the one side...hopefully, he makes it through the year...will be an awesome deer next deer...160-170 range I would imagine. He's in the 150's right now (assuming the right antler is similar to his left).

pass_threw 11-10-2005 07:38 PM

hey way to go 308, perfect size for grilling.
seriously,nice looking deer, great shot.

i`m waiting on one more 3 day weekend of the rifle season to be over. then i`m hard at it again the following weekendtill the end of the year. hoping for a buck but i can get 4 doe and a buck so, one at a time if need be.

PT

Mike Hill 11-11-2005 04:19 PM

WELL I hit a nice buck tonight it was about 3:40 PM and all of a sudden he was right there in front of me I grabed my bow and stood up real fast (stupid me) but he didn't see me thank god but he looked at me while I was standing there and for 15 min he watched me as he walked towards me so slow (don't ya hate that) any way I guess he figured I was a good tree and he turned to walk back and I drew and shot. I had to rush the shot cause I had this branch that I have been saying since opening day I need to cut but didn't in my way. I think I hit him a little far back. so I figured I'd wait until 4:00 and get down and look at my arrow and figure out what to do then. Well about 3:55 I caught movement comming from where the buck went. It was a buck but I coulden't tell if it was the same deer or not. The second one seemed bigger. He stayed 50 yards out in some thick stuff so there was no chance of a second shot. At 4:20 I got down out of my tree stand and went to find my arrow. I looked for a while and coulden't find it. But there was a lot of blood. I followed it for 60 or 70 yards and found 3/4 of my arrow from the fletch to the nock was missing. It didn't appear to have any gut on it. Any way it was starting to get dark so I got out of there I will take a stand in the morning till 9:00AM and see if I can find it after that. Keep your fingers crossed and wish me luck. I know I can't enter it cause I already have one entered but its still exciting. Gonna be hard to sleep tonight.

PA Bow/Flinter 11-12-2005 07:29 PM

Well guys.......sorry I didn't get it done this year[&o]. The season closed about 4 hours ago, :(:(and my buck tag is still unfilled[&o][&o][&o]. More than likely, if I get a buck this year..it will be with my rifle. There is still a chance, but don't put your hopes onme. :eek:

Hope you guys have better luck than me.

On a bright note, I saw two of the largest buck I've seen all year, friday night, and then again today. I saw a large half-rack 4 pt last night (rattled him in:)) and a huge 6 or 8 pt this morning...he was wider that his ears.
Both were out of range, 45 and 60 yds respectively.

GOOD LUCK, bring some bone in for us!!!

Mike Hill 11-14-2005 05:39 PM

OK another one on the meat pole for me. I found my 4 point buck just when you think all hope is gone low and behold there ya go. No pic of this one guys didn't have time put him in the truck checked him in and then right to the butcher. Maby get one of his horns. Siked for Ct. gun opener on Wed see ya when I get back Mike

PA Bow/Flinter 11-14-2005 05:57 PM

Congrats Mike!! You're really putting them down this year!!
COngrats again!

hunter25 11-17-2005 06:37 AM

Congrats Mike!

Well guys, I had a close encounter w/ a giant 12 yesterday morning. He was chasing a doe along w/ another buck. Got within about 10 yards, but when a buck is chasing a doe, forget about it. When that doe stops, so will he...and she wasn't ready yet. Sooo, here comes the gun season, which I'll be partaking in, but don't know how many more times I'll be out in the woods w/ my bow.

IL_BOW_MAN 11-18-2005 10:27 AM

Congrats to Hoytteen also guys.

This young guy put some more inches on the board for us!!

Well slug season is upon us right now, so I just hope they don't slaughter my deer. I will be out next week for another hoo rah. They are starting to move a little more. My dad shot a 120" 10 pointer on Monday, and I saw a nice 8 chasing a doe in the field one night on my walk out. It was too dark to shoot, so I watched as they ran by at 20 yards numerous times.

PA Bow/Flinter 11-18-2005 03:59 PM

Congrats hoytteen!!! Thats a nice buck you put down....wish I could have got one this year.

CONGRATS AGAIN!

Mike Hill 11-20-2005 06:02 PM

Well back from Ct. and what a great hunt. I scored 3 times on the first two days. Sorry to report that my partners blanked out. I sat with my oldest grand son and watched him freez up on a doe he put the gun on it and followed it but didn't pull the trigger. Plus he missed 2 and saw 2 others that he didn't shoot at. His dad missed 2. They are back in Ga. now licking their wounds. My other buddy never saw a deer. Hard to belive after I saw so many. I guess some years just go like that. Well thats 6 for me so far this season which is my best so far. Got one more week of bow season left here then shotgun followed by black powder. Then thats it till next year. But thats not till Jan 1. so still a long time to go. Good luck and keep them comming. Its not over till its over. Mike

zak123 11-20-2005 11:46 PM

I am going hunting for the first time this Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. They said they have seen several deer. I hope I get to see a couple.

skin_dog1 11-22-2005 11:49 PM

sorry fpr not checking in much. I've had a rather uneventful season so far. Only little bucks. I haven't even had a shot on a doe! I gained a new addition to the family on nov 8th at 10pm! 7lb's 8oz and beautiful! Maybe now I can do a little more hunting!

Hoytteen 11-23-2005 08:47 AM

congrats...nice baby....lol...ur gonna have to start takincare of the baby instead of hunting now!

pass_threw 11-23-2005 07:58 PM

hey way to go skin dog, good looking newbie there.

i have been so busy winterizing around the houseandworking that i don`t even have time to actively participate in the making of a baby right now

hunting, possibly this weekend.
but then again after talking about how long it`s been,
i may just have to see what the wife has planed

not to worry,i`ll make it out sometime this weekend. probably sunday afternoon.

PT

PA Bow/Flinter 11-24-2005 07:02 PM

Congrats skin dog!!! Is she going to be a future hunting buddy?

Well you guys, I've made a huge change in my hunting season. Rifle season is coming up next Monday, and normally I would take my rifle out. But I really wanted to get a buck with my bow this year, especially after I wounded that 8 earlier. To me, after all the work and sweat I put in this year, taking my rifle out and popping one with it, almost feels as though I'm cheating myself.

So my decision is that i am going to leave my rifle in the truck and take my bow out during rifle season and see if I can't get lucky just one more time. If it doesn't happen during rifle season, then my ML will come out for the late season though. That still requires me to get the deer really close. (I'm using an open sighted flinter). I want to get a buck this year, but it's more than just killing them to me, I enjoy the hunt. And up close and personal is the only way to hunt!!!

So I guess what I am really trying to say is that I'M BACK IN!! Hopefully I'll get lucky!
WISH ME LUCK!!
Steven

skin_dog1 11-25-2005 08:14 PM

Thanks guys. I went out this morning(our coldest this year). Our gun season is coming to an end and I've been bowhunting the entire time. I've taken the gun along the last few trips cause I've been seeing so many yotes! Shot one this morning just before sunup. Stupid thing decided to sit in the green wheat and howl and bark. I kept thinking, "Just a couple more minutes and I can see you"! Thank goodness for leuopold! I couldn't see her with my eyes but the scope drew plenty of light and dropped her in her tracks with a perfect shot. I saw 6 yotes today and got running shots at 2 more but missed. No wonder I've been seeing so few deer. Even if they don't kill many, they have to have some effect when they are so visible. I'm gonna try and knock a dent in em come january.

hunter25 11-26-2005 09:00 AM

skin_dog, congrats a beautiful little girl! Being a father is just the best thing in the world!

I haven't been bowhunting in a week and a half, but going out this afternoon. Nice SE wind might let the big boys come out of their bedding area to the cornfield...they need to replenish after the rut. I'll be in between those two areas.

Season's not over yet...still have a month and a half here in IL.

skin_dog1 11-29-2005 10:37 PM

I'll be out tommorow, but I'll be shooting the first slickie that walks by! Need some freezer meat. Hopefully a P&Y messes up first.

zak123 12-03-2005 11:42 PM

I am sorry I did not update you guys about my hunt sooner. I had a great time. I saw 20 squirrels and over 200 crows! I did not see any deer, but I think I heard one (Another hunter told me he saw one 100 yards from my stand). I hope to get back out during Christmas break, but things may change.

PA Bow/Flinter 12-23-2005 03:59 PM

RE: Official Team Archery Addicts (26) Thread

Sorry guys..no buck w/ the bow this year. Rifle season ended with my tag intact.

Then I went out for my special ML hunt and filled my tag. He's my largest to date!

Mike Hill 12-28-2005 07:33 AM

Not bad 308 not bad at all. Well I missed a nice buck with my muzzle loader today now I'm sitting here with the blues. Thats 2, I have missed with the muzzle loader now. Seing you got one makes me feel a little better tho good job way to end the season. I got 3 more days to try to end mine happy. Mike

IL_BOW_MAN 12-28-2005 08:35 AM

Congrats on the deer. That is still 1 more than I have shot!:( The season is rapidly coming to an end here and the deer have herded up and I am harldy seeing a thing. Hopefully a cold snap will get them moving a little earlier in the day. Bring on the cold!! Pleeeaaaassseee

pass_threw 12-28-2005 08:34 PM

real nice buck 308

i`m heading out Saturday for a last chance hunt. the season ends for me at dark the same day.

unless i happen to score on something to brag about. looks as though i`ll be happy with my early season doe.

maybe next year i`ll help out guy`s

keep scouting you just might find a trophy to hunt for next season.

PT

Mike Hill 01-02-2006 04:16 PM

Well guys the season here is officially over but not before I finnially scored with my muzzle loader. I got a small doe on Sat. which was the last day. As I stated earlier I missed two nice bucks with it so on Thurs. I put up a target and coulden't hit it at 80 yards so I quickly went to Dicks sporting goods and bought the bases and scope rings for my black dimond and Fri I sighted it in the best I could quick. Well it was a good thing I did as two does about the same size came into my stand area. I shot the first one and the second one ran off. I reloaded just in time to get a quick shot at the second one as it ran back through but missed. What a way to end a season. I had a great year I took a total of 10 deer this year the only bucks I got was with the bow an 8 and 4 pointer the other 8 were either does or button bucks. It has been nice having you guys as team mates and I hope god willing we can all do it again next year. God bless you all we have sure been through some changes together what not with floods new babies and of course the excitement of another deer and another chance for that huge buck. I hope to talk with you all again stop into the chat room some time god bless Mike

skin_dog1 01-11-2006 09:53 PM

I've got just 1 or 2 hunts left. I did manage to scratch out a doe a couple weeks ago. Maybe a nice buck will screw up during the last weekend. Good luck to any of you still trying!

IL_BOW_MAN 01-16-2006 12:41 PM

Well fellas, my season raced by without me tagging a single critter. I did manage to shoot that coyote earlier in the season with my bow, but that just don't count. Sorry I did not contribute at all...once again...so I applogize

Congrats to those who did harvest something.

Mike Hill 01-26-2006 08:37 AM

Hey guys is anyone still hunting or are we done for this year. This has been a great team with great spirt and for that we are all winners I feel like I have made some good friends and we should keep our thread for comunication even in the off season. Mike