HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer and ethics
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2007, 03:37 PM
Northwind~

Default RE: Deer and ethics

That is a good question. Yes, it is a good idea to follow the law. But the law isn't always the bottom line in every sitiuation, and the law isn't always right. If a law was passed that was a clear violation of your rights, would it be wrong to break that law? In some situations, it may be more ethical to break the law. Of course it is each person's personal decision, and I would nevertell someone else to break the law, as there are penalties for getting caught. But as for myself, knowing that I have good intentions and that my actions would not have negative ramifications, I would assume personal responsibility of the situation.If I came upon an animal that wa**** by a vehicle and severely injured, I would end its suffering if it was within my ability. As a hunter, this would be the ethical thing to do in my opinion. The law that prohibits this was placed for a reason, which I don't believe includes preventing people from ending the suffering of stricken animals.I assume there is some other reason, such as preventing people from stealing antlers off of roadkill, etc. We have the ability to think for ourselves, and always going by the book isn't realistic. Sometimesyou can justify breaking the law if you feel that it isyour ethical responsibility to do so. If I was in this situation I would follow through with what I thought was right and try not to get caught. If I did get caught, I would assume responsibility for my actions and present my argument for doing so. That is all you can do in that situation, but it would be best not to get caught of course. Let me put it this way. Here is a scenario. You are driving down a back road at night. Nobody else is around. You see an injured deer on the side of the road. Would you end its suffering or follow the law?