HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer and ethics
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2007, 11:39 PM
TSR6
Fork Horn

Default RE: Deer and ethics

I had a similar situation happen here in IL. I came around the corner on a country road to watch a guy wrestling with a small buck in the ditch off to the side of the road - with his car parked on the opposite side. I pulled over to see what this "numbskull" was doing wrestling with the deer thinking it was some "city slicker" type of guy that had hit it and was doing only god-knows-what with it. This happened in the middle of deer season, so I litterally jump out of my truck with my orange pants on, knife in my hand. Get over to him, ask if he hit it, ect, ect.. since he finally got it to the ground, got his story - someone else hit it, he came up to it flopping around in the road ( broken back ) and was only trying to get it off the road.

We called the DNR, no response ( it was a sunday ), so come to find out he's a hunter too. He did the deed, which I was glad for since I didnt know the laws regarding killing it. He told me he'd find someone to give the meat to, so I left. The damned thing is still laying there rotting 4-5 months later.

either way though, it didnt suffer long.