HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer and ethics
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2007, 07:03 AM
Red Lion

Default RE: Deer and ethics

ORIGINAL: Volf

It might sound “crazy”, but I like nature and like to see the deer not only through my rifle sights, wait a second, I like that too J , but I do not enjoy seeing them suffering. Clean shot or fast fallow up minimizes their pain.
Anyway here is my story with question:

I was driving to work one morning in January and was running late sitting in traffic, when I notice that traffic was build up because some one must hit a doe and drown away. She was still alive laying on the side of a busy northern Chicago suburb, still moving her head and a leg. I drove by hoping that police would be there soon to take care of her. But then I start thinking: Would it be ethical for me to get out of car and take her out of her misery (I had a knife in my trunk from bird hunting weekend)\, it looked like she was dying there, but then I imagine faces of driving buy people looking at guy in the suit with the knife finishing a deer. I think it would legally wrong as well. Probably calling police was the only right choice, but what would you do?
I canappreciateyoufeelingsin the situation, as I would have had the same. I think that you should start carrying a handgunon your person if it happens again. I mean, someone shooting a handgun in Chicago would be just kind of typical.