HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer rifles
Thread: Deer rifles
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2007, 08:26 AM
whitetaildreamer
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer rifles

Skeeter 7mm
You bet, cleaning is the trick. After about every 100 or so I use a bore solvent that not only removes leading and powder residue but also copper fouling. A quick soak and the clear liquid comes out green with the copper. Most gun solvents will remove the lead and the powder and many don't even think of ridding the barrel of the copper. Be careful when using these products for a solvent to remove the copper will also remove the blueing from your barrel. My reloads max using 4350 at about 62-63 grains. I have been reducing the powder to 57. 6 grains. In my rifle I have been getting better grouping at this charge. Through the chrono I am still at vel. of over 2900 ft/sec. Also, make sure it is well vented using the copper solvent for it stinks like hell. Don't leave it in the barrel too long. Better to use 2 or 3 little cleanings than dump the bottle in the barrel and power out the copper. If you have never used a copper solvent, give it a try, you can not believe the difference it will make. Best of luck.