HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Cur Question
Thread: Cur Question
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2007, 10:20 PM
SWOSUMike

Default RE: Cur Question

Hatchet,
I have two Original Mountain Curs, and I would say they fit the bill of what you are looking for. However, I don't advise letting one have free range all the time because they will range out to hunt. They genetically can't really help it. My advise is to keep them kenneled when not with you or in a fenced in yard because they will go hunt usually. They are, however, great protectors and they seem to get attached to the ones they are around most. You'd just need to make sure your family messes with them a lot, just like any pup. My guess is that they'd let a kid tug all over them and be really good about it. That is the way my dogs are with puppies, but they aren't around kids much. When they are, I feel like they can be trusted. However, the female plays a bit rough. My male OMC is about as gentle as they get but he will kill a critter if he gets the right chance. Mine are used as squirrel dogs and I think I will never be without a mountain cur again. The story of Old Yeller describes a cur, even though the movie portrays him as lab-like dog. I might be placing my female in a new home because she doesn't seem to hunt just the way I like, but that is a preference thing completely. The good thing about mountain curs, at least Original Mountain Curs, is that they are so diversified and you can probably find just what you need. Some guys really get after wild hogs with them, and others really get after small game like coons and squirrels. I also know of some guys out West that use them on big cats. They just do a lot of things and they are tough. You can also find them that stay at about 35-40 lbs or you can find them up to probably 65 pounds--just the right size to be a gritty dog and great companion. I really like my mountain curs. I don't have one of the male yet but I can get one if you'd like to see him. You can find these dogs in variations of yellow/red, brindle, black, blue and some with black, tan and white. White on Original Mountain Curs should not exceed 1/3 of the body, which basically translates to no open white spots behind the shoulder. Undersides can be white.Check out www.sqdog.com for more on curs than you could ask for. -MIKE