HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Cur Question
Thread: Cur Question
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2007, 12:31 PM
Hatchet

Default Cur Question

Hello to all,
I have some questions about Cur's. I have been studing about Mountain Curs and Blackmouth Curs. I am looking for a new dog and the curs have caught my attention and am trying to find out if a cur breed is the best for me and my family.
I live on 52 acres in S.W. Montana bordering the Bitterroot National Forest. I have had several breeds over the years and all my dogs become constant companions. About two years ago after the demise of my last dog(a Doberman) I looked to get a new dog. I studied and narrowed it down to a rhodesian ridgeback, American Pitt Bull Terrier and a Rottweiller. Talking to ridgeback breeders, I shyed away because the breeders told me that because of all the elk, deer, and other game as well a neiboring cattle ranches the ridgebacks have a tendency to wander off and could get shot(dogs are fair game up here). The Pit, which seems like a very intellegent a loyal breed, my wife boycotted because of the reputation.
Anyway, I decided on the Rottweiller. I did much research on breeders as I wanted a good all purpose dog with good genetics for hearding, hunting, trailriding and family protection. I purchased a German rottweiller as an 8 week old puppy that's grandfather was Igor Von Mussendorf the #1 French ring champion Rottweiller ever. All his other bloodlines are also hearding, cart pulling, police protection and Sch III.
I have worked with him since a puppy and he has filled the bill to a tee. The only exception is I am the only one that can handle him. He quickly grew to 115 pounds and is of a very dominant nature. My wife and children are scared of him as he growls and will nip at them if he is in the mood that he does not want to be touched. I have tried correction and tried to break him with choke collar and physical correction and he does not change.I am getting to the point if I don't know if I can trust him around my family. He goes beserk even if I am wrestling with my kids or hugging my wife. So, I am in the process of placing him in a different home.
With all that said, and a brief history. Would a Cur be a proper choice for me and the family? I don't need another attack dog(that was not my intention with the Rott) I have guns for that. I do want a dog that is a good family protector though, that will heard, trailride, hunt and be loyal and notwonder off.
Thank you in advance for any replies.

www.clenzoil.com