HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Wolves: Mother's Nature's Revenge
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2007, 12:29 AM
Fuzzyballs44

Default RE: Wolves: Mother's Nature's Revenge

In order to get away with shooting a wolf when it is attacking livestock, you have to have proof of the attack. Injured animals, dead animals or video footage. Basically it has to be undeniable that the wolves were aggressive towards your livestock.

The 10j amendment to the wolf reintroduction doesn't protect farmers as much as they say it does.

Just like the only reason there is no "documented" cases of wolf attacks is because the U.S. Biological Society does not document the attacks unless all requirements are met:

1. The wolf head that initiated the attack or wolf heads involved need to be removed and sent away for rabies/disease testing to be completed.

2. There needs to be an eye witness to the attacks.

3. If the testing comes up positive or inconclusive, it is disregarded as a sick animal.

4. The attacked party must sustain critical/terminal wounds and be killed by the attacking animal.

If you look up reported cases, though, there are plenty of those. Most involving heavy winters or a lower than normal food source neccessary to feed the pack.

In the early nineteen hundreds a wife holding a baby watched as her son and husband were killed and devored in Minnesota. By the next morning (investigators would not go out before daylight the next day for safety issues) they found strewn bones and some hair with the clothes scattered around. They figured there were at least 5 animals in the attack on the two men. It was not considered a documentable case because all five animals were not killed and did not have their heads examined for rabies....even though the kicker is that when an animal contracts rabies the pack pushes it out so it because a lone animal. There are absolutely no none studies that can provide proof that wolves can act as a social group and a pack if they contain the maddening rabies disease.

There were attacks in the U.S. and Canada as recently as two years ago...but guess what....no head/witness/killed victim....no documented attack according to the U.S. gov't.

~Cam

I have a pretty cool verifiable website that I will post when I get it from my work computer that tells the story of only a few of these attacks....including a 7' 6" Black wolf weighing in at 175 lbs that charged a S. Dakota hunter and was only killed when the hunter shot it in the neck on a reflex shot when he was knocked to the ground. This was in 2000...not in the earlier part of the century!