HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How Blazers work
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2007, 03:45 PM
mobow

Default How Blazers work

Blazers are a pretty common topic on the forums, and with good reason. They work extremely well. So, in light of that I figured I would do a little write up as to why.

There is a common misconception that Blazers have a higher profile the "regular" vanes. This simply isn't true, save the low profile variety. But even "regular" vanes are taller than low profile, so it's a moot point. Here are some numbers.

Blazers: Weight, 5 grains. Height, .4"
Killer vanes: Weight, 12 grains, height, .5"
4" Elite Plastifletch: Weight, 8 grains, height, .5"
4" TrueFlight feathers: Weight, 2.3 grains, height, 9/16"

As you can plainly see, Blazers aren't any taller, in fact, they are SHORTER than most other vanes, feathers included. That steep leading edge makes them APPEAR taller, they simply aren't. If you don't believe my numbers, a simple google search will show you I'm not making these numbers up.

Ok, this next segment is taken straight from Bohning's website. It explains how the Blazers actually work.

The Blazerâ„¢, with its unique design begins steering and correcting immediately. The combination of the steep leading edge angle, and material stiffness, enables the air to flow over the vane in a manner that actually creates lift and leaves the tip of each vane inside undisturbed air. This is similar to the drafting principle used in auto racing. This airflow created by the precise leading edge angle allows the tip of each vane to act like a rudder, which is very noticeable at longer distances with the flatter trajectory Blazerâ„¢ vanes provide.

So anyway, there you have it. Blazers really do work, and very well. BUT, they simply aren't any taller, they just look like it. Hopefully this smashes that misconception and gives at least a little insight as to how they work.