Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 How Blazers work >

How Blazers work

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How Blazers work

Old 02-17-2007, 03:45 PM

Default How Blazers work

Blazers are a pretty common topic on the forums, and with good reason. They work extremely well. So, in light of that I figured I would do a little write up as to why.

There is a common misconception that Blazers have a higher profile the "regular" vanes. This simply isn't true, save the low profile variety. But even "regular" vanes are taller than low profile, so it's a moot point. Here are some numbers.

Blazers: Weight, 5 grains. Height, .4"
Killer vanes: Weight, 12 grains, height, .5"
4" Elite Plastifletch: Weight, 8 grains, height, .5"
4" TrueFlight feathers: Weight, 2.3 grains, height, 9/16"

As you can plainly see, Blazers aren't any taller, in fact, they are SHORTER than most other vanes, feathers included. That steep leading edge makes them APPEAR taller, they simply aren't. If you don't believe my numbers, a simple google search will show you I'm not making these numbers up.

Ok, this next segment is taken straight from Bohning's website. It explains how the Blazers actually work.

The Blazerâ„¢, with its unique design begins steering and correcting immediately. The combination of the steep leading edge angle, and material stiffness, enables the air to flow over the vane in a manner that actually creates lift and leaves the tip of each vane inside undisturbed air. This is similar to the drafting principle used in auto racing. This airflow created by the precise leading edge angle allows the tip of each vane to act like a rudder, which is very noticeable at longer distances with the flatter trajectory Blazerâ„¢ vanes provide.

So anyway, there you have it. Blazers really do work, and very well. BUT, they simply aren't any taller, they just look like it. Hopefully this smashes that misconception and gives at least a little insight as to how they work.

Old 02-17-2007, 03:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How Blazers work

The BROADHEAD Blazers are .600 tall.

The Mini Blazer broadhead vanesare .400 tall.
Old 02-17-2007, 03:57 PM

Ok, I just saw that myself...And if I do the math, that's even .04 taller than feathers...so perhaps I was a little mistaken...but only partially.

Oh, and the mini's aren't for broadhead use.

Man.....and I thought I had finally come up w/ a good thread.......[&o]
Old 02-17-2007, 04:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

The minis are listed as broadhead vanes in the lancaster catalog.

I agree,they are not for broadhead use.

The front edge may do as they advertise,BUT imo,the biggest reason they work is due to the higher profile.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

OK,I just read further in the catalog,it says they are for mechanicals.[]
Old 02-17-2007, 04:21 PM

Good lookin' out Mobo, good read.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:30 PM

Whatever the darn reason......They work, that's all I know.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:01 AM

Thanks mobo! I will be giving them a try this year. One question I do have is the predator vanes just a copy or are they totally different?
Old 02-27-2007, 02:18 PM
Fork Horn

I have used the minis with bhs they worked fine for me out to 30yds.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have one question about the blazers that I've hesitated to bring up. My Drenalin wasn't actually my first bow. I had a Diamond Liberty for two weeks before I returned it. Won't say where I got it, but they managed to give me a bow that had issues. Nothing against the Liberty. It was a smooth, quiet bow. This one had evidently been returned, then used in their in-store range, andwas thensold to me as being new.
Anyway, it had a WB and I was using blazers. The blazers were actually curling.Could that have been a problem with the bow and not a blazer/WB issue?

Quick Reply: How Blazers work

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.