HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Illinois hunters! Has anyone heard about the 290" buck.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:22 AM
djschuett

Default RE: Illinois hunters! Has anyone heard about the 290" buck.

I figured it was just one guy's opinion, but it was interesting how he provided no support for it, which in retrospect is what differentiates an opinion from a fact!

Having only hunted in 3 states and deer hunted in 2, I know better than to make any claims about 1 state being better than any other. Based on the pics on this site, there are huge bucks all over, but like you said, it depends on QDM as well as local genetics and whether or not everyone plays by the rules.

I'll stick to my public land in Iowa, brought me a 13pter last season and a nice doe this year. Hard to complain about that!

I almost think there should be some sort of a curve applied for hunting public land that is pushed pretty hard. I think the odds of any buck surviving to get into the 130's on pubic land is roughly equivalent to one making it into the 160's on private land, but that's just my opinion. Maybe we could just agree to add 3 points to any deer taken on public land so my 13pt would become a 16

I've never seen so many spikes and forks as well as yearlings taken out of an area as is done in this chunk of private land! I saw a yearling one guy shot that was smaller than most Golden Retrievers! I thought about asking him if he used shoe polish to cover her spots, but I decided against it. Maybe it's some new Venison Veal thing I don't know about.