Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Illinois hunters!  Has anyone heard about the 290" buck. >

Illinois hunters! Has anyone heard about the 290" buck.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Illinois hunters! Has anyone heard about the 290" buck.

Old 02-10-2007, 05:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default Illinois hunters! Has anyone heard about the 290" buck.

I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about the 290" buck taken in Vermillion county or is it just another mythical monster. I had read an article in the Times and haven't heard anything since, is there any truth to the story.............
Old 02-10-2007, 10:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Illinois hunters! Has anyone heard about the 290" buck.

If there is any truth to it - it will most likely be proved out (shown) at the Deer & Turkey Classic in a few short weeks.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:54 AM
Bartender

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4155/is_20061220/ai_n17080069
Old 02-11-2007, 08:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

I honestly don't see how 3 or more certified scorers could come up with the same numbers on a non-typical rack. I don't see how one personcould come up with a good conscious number on some of them. Is there a tape anywhere showing the scoring process of a big non-typical rack?
Old 02-11-2007, 08:49 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks a lot PEAKRUT. I guess there may be some truth to the story after all! I would have figured, it would have been on the awesomeantlers.com website, if there was any truth to it. Thanks for the site, it was killing myself and some friends of mine, if there was any truth to the matter.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:22 AM

Illinois -- the top destination for trophy whitetails
Since when does Illinois have the title of the Top Destination for Trophy Whitetails?

Growing up in Ohio and now living in Iowa, I know at least 2 states from personal experience that would have issues with that claim!
Old 02-11-2007, 10:14 AM
Fork Horn

Dischuett, that's just someone stating his opinion. If you want to make that argument, then you certainly can't leave out Kansas. I won't argue with anyone about which state is better to hunt in. It's not the state, its the area which you hunt, and if you and your neighbors practice Quality Deer Management. I also believe Indiana has all kinds of potential, but a deer season which is to drawn out. They're taking steps to improve there deer herd, by limiting there hunters to a 1 buck limit. But as we know that's only for law-abiding hunters. As long as there is no-kind of check station, there is no chance for honest management figures. That's were Illinois has taken a step backwards, stating, it cost to much to have check stations. When 85% of check stations were manned on a volunteer basis, only state parks were not a volunteer station, so I don't know how they can make that claim.
As for this past season, Ohio had definately made its mark in the B&C book. There were some definate monsters taken out of that state this year........ So you know the genetics are there. Illinois outfitters are going to be pricing themselves out of buisiness.. Illinois has gotten much of there publicity through the television, and outfitters have upped there prices accordingly.. If I was a non-resident looking for a place to hunt, now-a-days, it sure wouldn't be Illinois. I would be looking at states like Indiana and Ohio, were prices probably wouldn't be as high, and the probabilty of shooting a 140+ class buck or better, would be just as good or maybe even better!
Old 02-11-2007, 11:22 AM

I figured it was just one guy's opinion, but it was interesting how he provided no support for it, which in retrospect is what differentiates an opinion from a fact!

Having only hunted in 3 states and deer hunted in 2, I know better than to make any claims about 1 state being better than any other. Based on the pics on this site, there are huge bucks all over, but like you said, it depends on QDM as well as local genetics and whether or not everyone plays by the rules.

I'll stick to my public land in Iowa, brought me a 13pter last season and a nice doe this year. Hard to complain about that!

I almost think there should be some sort of a curve applied for hunting public land that is pushed pretty hard. I think the odds of any buck surviving to get into the 130's on pubic land is roughly equivalent to one making it into the 160's on private land, but that's just my opinion. Maybe we could just agree to add 3 points to any deer taken on public land so my 13pt would become a 16

I've never seen so many spikes and forks as well as yearlings taken out of an area as is done in this chunk of private land! I saw a yearling one guy shot that was smaller than most Golden Retrievers! I thought about asking him if he used shoe polish to cover her spots, but I decided against it. Maybe it's some new Venison Veal thing I don't know about.

Old 02-11-2007, 12:32 PM
Bartender

http://www.biggamehunt.net/sections/Archery/Whitetail_Bowhunting_The_Midwest_02040312.html
Following from this link

If you're serious about bowhunting for a trophy buck then "cut to the chase" and start concentrating your efforts on the best trophy producing areas of the country. A little time spent perusing the Boone & Crockett and Pope & Young Record books should soon convince you that limiting your trophy bowhunting ventures to the Midwestern states, of Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota and Iowa with Kansas thrown is as a very attractive alternate, will definitely be in your best interest. The first four states have produced the MOST typical and non-typical bucks entered in Boone & Crockett where the minimum typical score is 170 and the non-typical score is 195. Up until last year, Minnesota held the edge in producing big typical bucks for it's hunters but from my understanding Iowa has since moved into first place and pushed Minnesota to second place followed by Wisconsin and Illinois. In the non-typical category Minnesota still leads the pack followed closely by Iowa, Wisconsin and Illinois. Minnesota still holds the edge in the total combined production of typical/non-typical bucks followed closely by Iowa, Wisconsin, and Illinois.
The Pope & Young records show that Wisconsin leads the pack in the total number of typical bucks killed by bowhunters, followed by Illinois, Iowa, and Minnesota. When it comes to the total number of non-typical bucks taken by bowhunters, Illinois leads the pack while Kansas moves into second place only a couple deer ahead of Minnesota, Iowa, and Wisconsin.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:37 PM
Bartender

Toppublic as published by outdoor life.
http://www.outdoorlife.com/outdoor/hunting/whitetails/article/0,19912,698186-1,00.html

Quick Reply: Illinois hunters! Has anyone heard about the 290" buck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.