HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Long Range Shooting
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2007, 03:44 PM
Iowa Monsterbuck

Default Long Range Shooting

I’ve booked a Caribou hunt for next fall and have some questions about longer range shooting.

I’m a Midwest whitetail hunter which means I practice at ranges of 40 yards and less. Due to the longer shots possible if not likely in the open tundra I’m anticipating practicing and preparing myself to increase my range to 60 yards. I plan on buying a new bow and accessories optimal for those longer range opportunities. I would appreciate your advice on what to look for.

My current set-up is:

Mathews Legacy 70lb. 30 inch draw

30 inch Goldtip 7595 arrows, 4 inch Duravanes, 100gr. Muzzy three blade broadheads (Total arrow weight approx 418 gr.)

Impact Trio sight with 20, 30 and 40 yard pins.

Bow: I’m currently considering the Mathew’s Drenalin’ and Bowtech Guardian or Allegiance bows.

Sight: I’ll need to upgrade to a 5 pin sight. With a 5 pin sight what distances would you recommend the pins be set for, assuming a maximum range of 60 yards? 20-30-40-50-60? 25-35-45-55-60?

Arrows: Would a lighter arrow be better for trajectory at long range? How about a slimmer arrow such as the Easton ST Axis for less wind drift? The Axis arrows are heavier than some of the other arrows, such as my Goldtips. Also would a smaller vane like a 2” Blazer be better for less wind drift than a regular 4” vane?

Broadheads: Should I shoot mechanical broadheads or would a small profile fixed blade such as the new Muzzy MX-3 be better?

Some advice and opinions to get me on the right track would really be appreciated.[/align]