HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Point Restrictions Isn't the answer....
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2002, 08:10 AM
CAJUNBOWHNTR

Default RE: Point Restrictions Isn't the answer....

Several years ago Miss. went to 4 pts(total)or better for bucks.They also made the entire season on private poperty or leased lands either sex.The limit on does is five.The goal of this was not to produce trophy bucks,but to try and balance the sex ratio.In some areas it was 10 to 1.Since our heard was out of balance most of the young bucks were spikes.By protecting the 1 1/2 bucks and shooting more does the sex ratio has come down.We still don't kill "trophy" deer.The soil quality in many areas of the state is poor and there is very little agriculture.The only problem with a point restriction is high grading.That is a young buck with a really good rack will probably be shot his first or second year.I don't agree with shooting spikes because they are inferior.Maybe if you are hunting a highly managed property with plenty of food and good genetics.But for us because of poor habitat and a deer heard at or above capacity.Most of our young bucks are spikes their first year.Studies done by Miss. state biologists and Dr. James Kroll in Texas have shown that with age and proper nutrition most spike bucks will catch up in antler development.One of the largest bucks ever raised by Mark Johnson at the LSU research facility was a spike his first year.The moral of this story is shoot does and let the young bucks walk.Then shoot mature bucks at least 3 1/2 years old.They may or may not be "trophys".But at least the sex ratio will be more balanced and the bucks will have a chance to develop some decent antlers.When I hear some one say you cant eat the horns,I would say that's right so shoot a doe and let that little fellow walk.

CB

WHACKEM N STACKEM