HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Point Restrictions Isn't the answer....
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2002, 09:13 PM
Deer902

Default RE: Point Restrictions Isn't the answer....

The PA Game Commision put out more than enough doe tags. We have to change the attitude of the hunters who are only out to harvest a buck. They think that if you let the does walk their will be more bucks for next year. "If you shoot a doe you just killed 3 deer for next year.", is the line I hear too often when trying to convince buck only hunters. The idea behind AR's is to force hunters to pass on these smaller bucks and take a doe. Alot of hunters only have a few days to hunt and chances are they are going to see alot more does than legal bucks.(atleast for the first couple of years) If they want their freezer filled, they often have to shoot the doe. The PGC's main objective here is to balance the herd. The changes are not ONLY about the hunter, but more importantly balancing the population and creating a healthier overall herd. They used AR as a means to get it done and bigger bucks as the main selling point. They have changed the minds of many hunters and hopefully in time alot more. I have changed the minds of all of my family and the majority of my friends already believe this will work. My father in-law still refuses to buy a doe tag. I haven't swung his vote yet. But he had to pass on a couple sub legal bucks this year and said he could of shot many does the one day he did hunt. Meanwhile the rest of the family has freezers filled with venison from multiple does. I keep telling him, "You can't eat the horns." Maybe next year I'll change his mind.