HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Point Restrictions Isn't the answer....
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2002, 11:25 AM
Fullback

Default Point Restrictions Isn't the answer....

I was reading comments made about Pa.'s Point Restriction put into effect this year....it's my take that Pa.'s buck to doe ratio is waaay outta proportion....It's way outta proportion here in SW Va also......I'm firmly believe that the only way to improve the quality of the herd is to reduce the quantity....by this I'm saying take does.....they don't put doe tags on your license to just look pretty..They want you to use them....SURE, point restrictions will help to see bigger bucks next year...but your still not improving the quality of the herd....here in SW Va I get two either sex tags and three antlerless only tags....I talk to some hunters and they say, "I don't shoot anything but bucks"....well, personally I think that sucks...cause they're not managing the resources....I think too much emphasis is placed on taking a B&C buck....I mean, I've watched some of the monster buck videos, buckmaster tv show, etc etc....and they take bigger deer on the tv show's than most hunters will ever see out in the wild....and I've never heard Bill Jordan mention anything about taking does.....all I've ever heard him talk about is planting food plots...well, again, most hunters don't own ranches or have acreage upon acreage, nor the funding to plant a 300 acre plot of Tecomante Double Rack Jack.....so don't get caught up in the big buck hype....OH sure, that's why we all hunt....but we should also hunt to manage our herds....I've taken 3 does this year and 0 bucks....I let at least 10 small bucks(from spikes to a basket 8) run along about thier business this year....Taking does is the key...

In our line of work, we must be able to play Dixie and the Battle Hym of the Republic, With Equal Enthusiasm.