HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Guys using climbing sticks.......Safety
Old 02-05-2007, 11:52 AM
mauser06
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Guys using climbing sticks.......Safety

i thought about the same thing..i got 2 hangons..though they are cheap ones they will work fine for a quick evening hunt after work to sneak in. my problem is what do you use as saftey while hanging it all that inital time?? linemans rope wont help because it gotta be attached up in the tree correct?? (im not sure i just always thought linemans ropes got attached to the top of the tree??) to get it up there you gotta climb that first time with nothing. soooo what im going to do this spring when i hang them 2 stands is use my summit system with the rope going around the tree attached to my harness the whole way up. i will be using screw in steps though. im going to screw them in, climb move my rope up etc. should be ok. exspecially because ill be in light clothes doing it and not pressed for time or noise. getting the stand up ill probably use a rope or back pack it up somehow..thatll be tricky. but once its up there ill be done. and if i slip ill be attached to the tree the whole time...i think itll work out. i dont like the idea of slipping on them screw in steps though...i get a visual of being STUCK with a couple of them steps every time i think about it...just gotta be careful...

maybe i should sharpen the ends of the steps to a needle point so they go right in without me taking the hit of the squared end? lol