Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Guys using climbing sticks.......Safety >

Guys using climbing sticks.......Safety

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Guys using climbing sticks.......Safety

Old 02-05-2007, 09:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Guys using climbing sticks.......Safety

I mentioned a while back that I'm conducting a treestand safety seminar, this weekend, at an outdoor expo. I've been asked to talk about climbing sticks......but I can't for the lif eof me figure out how people put up a stand and hunt it the same day using climbing sticks............SAFELY.

Can someone go through the steps (no pun intended)?

To be honest.....it's the reason I sold my LW Stand and sticks. I couldn't put it up safely without making noise and sweating my butt off.

How do you guys do it.......honestly?

Old 02-05-2007, 09:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Guys using climbing sticks.......Safety

I set my stand before the season and only remove the first 2 sets of climbing sticks thats if it is public land on our lease the stands and sticks are up all year long.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:09 AM

Without typing a novel here, I'll just say that I have no problems installing sticks/stands with a lineman style harness. Never really thought much deeper about it than that, I always do just fine.

Old 02-05-2007, 09:11 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: il coyote

Without typing a novel here, I'll just say that I have no problems installing sticks/stands with a lineman style harness. Never really thought much deeper about it than that, I always do just fine.

Yep
Dominant Buck

I hear ya, Aussie......I actually bought a LW Alpha and the sticks, last year. I hunted out of it.....ONCE.....because I thought I might die (either from falling while hanging it.......or from heat exhaustion DUE to hanging it). I've just heard people say they hunt same-day out of these things. I'm all ears.

I set my sticks and hang-on out a few weeks before I hunt. I only use the set-up on private land, so don't have to do the same day set-up and take-down. I actually find set-up to be fairly easy, at least the sticks usually only take me about 10 minutes at most.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:17 AM
Dominant Buck

So...I "guess" you set your first stick..........get down.......climb your first stick and set your second stick........get down.......climb back up.......set your third stick........climb your third stick......set your strap.......retrieve your stand if you've got it tethered to your lineman's belt with .......a rope??.....or get back down and retrieve your stand.......and THEN set your stand????? Then....what do you do with the rope (if you used one)? Or....HOW did you climb safely up with the stand in your hand?

I loved the stand, guys.....I just couldn't figure out how to do it SAFELY without working up a HECKUVA sweat!......and without it taking a LONG time.

Old 02-05-2007, 10:18 AM

When using the type that slides together, it's pretty simple. Stand the stick against the tree, attach the straps as you go, using the harness so your hands are free.

What I do with the kind that don't fit together(I don't use lone wolf, but a similar design) I bought a long rope, and tied buckles/carrabiners/etc. along the length of the rope far enough so the sticks wont touch.(noise) I secure each section to the rope, with the stand at the bottom, climbing, pulling the rope to the next section, climbing, all the way to the desired height and finally mounting the treestand in only one trip up the tree. Rope would be tied off somewhere on my harness, usually at my backside to keep it away from my hands. Bow rope would be tied off there as well.

I don't know if it qualifies as 'safe', or if it is even the best way to go, but I like it.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:20 AM

To be honest GMAT, I have put up my sticks while not wearing a safety device. Not good I know, but whatI have done. I am committed to a higher level of safety during the upcoming season as a goal, so will use all safety devices. I guess it will end up taking me longer to set-up thing than 10 minutes from no on.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

[/align]
[blockquote]
ORIGINAL: GMMAT

So...I "guess" you set your first stick..........get down.......climb your first stick and set your second stick........get down.......climb back up.......set your third stick........climb your third stick......set your strap.......retrieve your stand if you've got it tethered to your lineman's belt with .......a rope??.....or get back down and retrieve your stand.......and THEN set your stand????? Then....what do you do with the rope (if you used one)? Or....HOW did you climb safely up with the stand in your hand?

I loved the stand, guys.....I just couldn't figure out how to do it SAFELY without working up a HECKUVA sweat!......and without it taking a LONG time.

this isexactlywhat i find . I did this at the end of the season i moved one . I've heard other do it here the same day so i timed my self .took me 20 minutes and alot of sweat and it wascold out too. I found it awkward and sweaty .either i need to practise it more or a better way to put it up
[/blockquote]

Quick Reply: Guys using climbing sticks.......Safety

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.