HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Scientists: Wolves not decimating elk herds
Old 02-01-2007, 04:19 PM
rather_be_huntin
Typical Buck

Default RE: Scientists: Wolves not decimating elk herds

ORIGINAL: Dirt2

First, notice the title of the article at the head. It said wolves not DECIMATING the elk population in ID. Read the article. The three "experts" as you like to call them do not say that wolves are not eating elk, or even that they are having no effect on elk populations. It's odd how people take a tiny thread and run off in a million directions with it.

I think that's the argument right there. Everyone knows there are several factors that go into a healthy elk population...you know what they are no need to get into them. But many people believe that wolves are the largest factor in DECIMATING elk herds. Many don't believe the expert opinion that they are only a small factor. I know Jason well, aka IdahoElkInstructor, he is a very rational level-headed guy and he has me convinced that is some areas in Idaho wolves are a very real problem.

The thing the experts and possibly you aren't understanding about what some are saying about wolves is that in some areas wolves aren't a problem, barely noticeable. In some areas they are having a mild effect. In some areas they have flat out run the elk into the ground. In some areas wolves don't exist. I don't know what area or areas the experts in this case used for their studies. But I think based on a LARGE number of accounts from level headed sportsman it's clear that SOME areas the have held large number of elk for many years are now elk ghost towns. That can't be ignored and the reason why many here do not buy into the expert opinion that started this thread.

I live in Utah where wolves do not have a large presence. But after reading and hearing these stories I am absolutely terrified of them coming to Utah, and against it. I am convinced that in SOME areas they are a very real problem that can no longer be ignored, dismissed as myth, chalked up to some guy making up stories, a figment of someones imagination, an exageration, or a misunderstanding. There are too many reputable sources that are making too much noise. It can not be dismissed any longer. In mind it's passed the point of debate, we are in a serious fight here and the sooner everyone gets there head out of the sand the sooner we can save the future of hunting. Maybe for us it's just a few of our favorite hunting spots that are suffering but 10- 15years from now I fear we will be fist fighting each other at the sporting goods counter for the small amount of tags there will be sold for the privilege of being able to hunt. And we will look back and wish we did something while we had the chance. We will all be on boards like this whining to each other about how much we took hunting for granted, and how sad we are we can't pass it on to our children and grandchildren.

Wolves are a problem. We need to wake up and do something about it. Can wolves and elk coexist in the lower 48 with allof the land development that is happening? Ican't answer that. But what is happening now is nothing short ofthe slow and methodical extinction of hunters in the USA.