HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Little tip to eliminate runout
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2007, 12:57 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Little tip to eliminate runout

ORIGINAL: North Texan

How much is the runout affecting your groups?

I haven't worried about it before, but if a makes a noticeable difference, I might start.
As I say, some guns, like a 7mm08 I have, you can shoot rocks sideways thru it and get subMOA. But others like my 300RUM or ones with alot of freebore, it seems to affect it alot. I did alot of testing where I separated out my bad with my excellent. It made a different from going from .5MOA to 1.5MOA. Thats considerable.

I usually see it affect guys who say, "I found a great load was getting .5" groups at 100 yards the other day, but now, I am all other the place". I go over to thier ammo, and roll it, and watch it wobble like nobodies business. Is that the reason? Who knows, but I know when I take it out of the equation, its not a problem anymore.

I love reloading and learning new things. And love striving to make the best ammo I can. I know I am very particular. but its my hobby, and I love it.

I say for anyone who has been struggling to get loads working they shoot great one day and bad another, take a look at it.