HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Little tip to eliminate runout
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2007, 09:34 AM
bigcountry

Default Little tip to eliminate runout

After years of reloading, and fighting bullet runout, I think I have found the solution. I have bought competition seaters, neck turning kits, and multiple dies and different brands of shell holders. Some calibers, I fight runout every time, some not at all.

I have found the culprit in my setup. The shellholder. These shell holders are made with slop to accomidate many calibers. That slop is killing me. My usual setup for bullet seating includes squaring the dies, and turning 3 times during the bullet seat little at a time. I usually get 30% of the loaded rounds with runout >.005", which is unacceptable to me. When questioning loads or working up loads, why not take out another possible component I say.

Ok, I was watching my rim of the brass relative to its position in the shell holder. If I just lower my ram handle to touch the bullet seater plug with the bullet, and bounce back out, I notice the rim, of the brass moving over in the shell holder .005 or more from the end of the shell holder. So when I put brass in and shove it in the holder and push a bullet in, I am shoving it in cockeyed cause of play in the shell holder.

So here was my experiement. I loaded 20 7mm-08 rounds by doing the regular lay the bullet in the shell holder to its extent, and seating the bullet turning 1/3 turn 2 times during the seating.

I then loaded 20 7mm08 rounds a little different. I wouldraise my ram until I could feel the bullet hit the seater plug, I would thenlower my ram, and you could see the brass being centered in the shell holder by a very small amount, I would then push in the bullet a small amount. I would then turn the brass 1/3 turn, and touch the bullet to the plug, and back back out and would see the brass move over centering itself relative to the seater plug and then lower the handle all the way to finish the seating.

Results. 20 the old way had bullet runout ranging from .001" to .012". 30 to 40% had runout between .004 and .007". Thats enough to see the bullet wobble if you rolled it on a mirror.

20 loaded the new tedious way, I had 100% of the loads had runout less than .005". Which is justgreat for hunting. Over80% had runout less than .003". Which I consider almost match quality straightness.

So I can conclude that with that shell holder/press/bullet seater combo, there is some slop in the shell holder or press. Some rounds I never have issues, and notice when I load the new tedious way, the brass does not scoot over any at all in the shell holder when I touch the bullet to the seater plug and back out.

I know some on here are tired of reloading after years and years of doing it and this post is not for you. But those who like the dynamics of reloading and getting straight ammo, try it out for yourself. Some of my rifles, shoot great with bad runout or good. Some like my magnums do not like alot of runout.

There is alot more components to consider also. Like varying neck thickness, and FL sizers knocking the necks out. This can be checked before seating or charging. If your necks are out of center then nothing you can do, will help.

Just a tip.