HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Late Season Rub Lines?
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2002, 04:53 PM
Fullback

Default Late Season Rub Lines?

I was hunting in an area that I had not scouted this season, and it was the end of rifle season(about 3 weeks ago) and seen a monster buck(140's possibly)....I heard this morning from a guy that fall turkey hunts this area(he hunts low to mid way up the mountain and I hunt pretty high to the top)....He said that he seen fresh rubs(shavings on top of the snow).....big rubs within a ridge or two from where I seen the buck this past rifle season...what do ya'll think are good tactics for this buck? what do ya'll think late season rubs are worth?.......My Hypothesis: is that the buck is bedding in some laurels up high, then decending late evening or even night to feed in the fields and check for does...then returning early morning(possibly before the sun comes up)....Should I set up where I seen the buck previously?(because where I hunt is a little brushy flat with laurels on both sides)...should I set up below the laurels and try to catch him going in before daylight, because I can get to the top where i wanna be without spooking or walking past him and spooking him.....although it takes a little more work.......need some opinions...

In our line of work, we must be able to play Dixie and the Battle Hym of the Republic, With Equal Enthusiasm.