Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Late Season Rub Lines?

Old 12-18-2002, 04:53 PM

Default Late Season Rub Lines?

I was hunting in an area that I had not scouted this season, and it was the end of rifle season(about 3 weeks ago) and seen a monster buck(140's possibly)....I heard this morning from a guy that fall turkey hunts this area(he hunts low to mid way up the mountain and I hunt pretty high to the top)....He said that he seen fresh rubs(shavings on top of the snow).....big rubs within a ridge or two from where I seen the buck this past rifle season...what do ya'll think are good tactics for this buck? what do ya'll think late season rubs are worth?.......My Hypothesis: is that the buck is bedding in some laurels up high, then decending late evening or even night to feed in the fields and check for does...then returning early morning(possibly before the sun comes up)....Should I set up where I seen the buck previously?(because where I hunt is a little brushy flat with laurels on both sides)...should I set up below the laurels and try to catch him going in before daylight, because I can get to the top where i wanna be without spooking or walking past him and spooking him.....although it takes a little more work.......need some opinions...

In our line of work, we must be able to play Dixie and the Battle Hym of the Republic, With Equal Enthusiasm.
Old 12-19-2002, 12:34 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Late Season Rub Lines?

I'm really not sure how I would approach the rubs at this point in the season. I do think a good idea is to get in as close as you can to where he is spending his nights rubs or no rubs. If you can get in real close and work the wind you should definately see some action. Just make sure you keep your ears open in case he comes through in the dark. If so you may want to get a little closer to his bedding area to time it just right. This is JMHO though.

MassBowhunterWhats Your Story?
Old 12-19-2002, 10:59 AM
Fork Horn

I also have a question related to rubs.. but I dont think these rubs were made late season. It is post-rut in GA, and could use some advice.
The spot where the rub lines are is in open hardwoods near some thick pine cover. You can see the rubs if you are standing with your back to the thick pines, which I guess means that the buck is making the rubs as he leaves the thick stuff. Is it possible to figure out what time of day he is moving? If we assume the thick stuff is his bedding area, does this mean he is spending the daylight hours there, and leaving the bedding area in the evening? If so, should I set up near the rub line in the evening?

Also, would he change his pattern in post-rut? I read that bucks start feeding more after the rut.. so I guess this means he would probably leave the bedding area in the evening to eat, right? I only discovered the rubs last weekend, so I dont know what he might have been doing during the rut.

Thanks
Sky
Old 12-19-2002, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Fullback,
Hunting a rub line at this time is entirely hit or miss IMO. I think you would be better off to intercept between bedding area and feeding area depending on your snow depth. To much snow often times forces deer to bed in or very close to their feeding area. LOL

"Semper Fi"

"Semper Fi"
Old 12-19-2002, 01:30 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]