HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Waterdog!!
Thread: Waterdog!!
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2007, 06:27 PM
losthwy
Typical Buck

Default RE: Waterdog!!

ORIGINAL: dhrnrcpa

Maybe in the hands of the right person they're okay, but I had a potentially great dog ruined by one.

I was self-training my first lab, and at eight months old he was already working hand signals and most of the basics. His one problem was that when he made a retrieve, he would drop the object (dummy, bird, etc.) on the ground at my feet instead of holding unril commanded to release. For a working dog, I had no problems with that, but I was interested in field trials and thought he showed potential.

I sent him to a professional trainer, who shocked him into oblivion. After 30 days, my dog had dropped from 70 pounds to about 55 and was terrified of people. it took me over 2 years to gain his trust back. He's a decent dog, but has never rounded into really good hunting material because he cannot take any real pressure in a training session without cowering down. (By pressure, I mean raising my voice- not even to a yell, just a louder, firmer voice).

I shudder to think what might have happened if I hadn't got a phone call from someone warning me as to what was happening. Thankfully, the other six dogs in his care were picked up by the Humane Society.

I know I'm going to get a lot of responses about how this is a trainer problem and not a collar problem. I do say this though- if you are going to use a collar, know how to use it correctly. If you are sending your dog to a trainer, get references and know that they know to use a collar correctly.
Sounds like you took your dog to godawful "trainer" who has no business training dogs and I have met a few myself. The best advice I would give anyonewould be towork/watch the trainer a couple of times BEFORE putting your dog with them and asking around about the trainer (word gets around in the dog community). The great majority of trainers use the collar and know HOW to use it properly, it is the owners job to find competent trainers.