Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Waterdog!!

Old 01-08-2007, 07:16 PM

Default Waterdog!!

just ordered my training collar for my 3yr old choc, lab. Can wait to get him into the blind with me next season!!
Old 01-08-2007, 08:33 PM

Default RE: Waterdog!!

I bet that will be exciting, having a fresh dog in the blind with you. If only I had a bird dog...
Old 01-08-2007, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

My lab is both a expert at waterfowl and upland hunting .
He may not point , but he let's you know he is on a bird before he flushes it

With 1 dog , I have fewer piles in the yardhnch
Old 01-09-2007, 04:57 AM

I hate too ask what a training collar is,, im sure i already know and I absolutely hate those things! I threw a buddies remote into lake erie this year,, right after we got in an arguement about it.. He said its the only way the dog listens.. I said bs,, that dog wants to do the work,, you just dont spend the time with him too train him! He said your right I dont have the time too train him,, Itold himthe the collar should go aroundhis neck then and I pitched the remote,, best $200 I spent on waterfowling all year!

If the dog is obediant already,, you can train him too retrieve easily, it only takes 10-15 minutes a day but 4-7 days a week. Youve already got the breed that was made for it,, spend the time with the animal and you dont need $200 inspiration for the dog. The dog will want to do the work if you make it fun for him!
Old 01-09-2007, 05:41 AM

hes 3yrs old and your just now geting him in a blind,,,and his first shockin too boot,,,sounds like a problem ...your better off leting him stay a pet and get a new pup and start over,,
Old 01-09-2007, 08:07 AM
Fork Horn

SwanpThing,

Your right you must not know much aboute-collers, dog training or dogs. There are proffessional trainners all over the country that use these. There not for just shocking your dog. Learn about something before you comment on it please. Thanks

Shammy
Old 01-09-2007, 08:41 AM

are you refering too swampthing or swamp rooster
Old 01-09-2007, 09:09 AM

ORIGINAL: tschammel

SwanpThing,

Your right you must not know much aboute-collers, dog training or dogs. There are proffessional trainners all over the country that use these. There not for just shocking your dog. Learn about something before you comment on it please. Thanks

Shammy
I know enough about e-collars and training that my dog doesntbreak until he gets the send command, obeys verbal commands, whistles and hand signals, will do multiple blind retrieves and deliver too hand. But I spent the time with him too get him to do it. He wouldnt win any trial's, but he is a great working dog!

In the right handsim sure they are of use..Want too hearthe experiences ive seen with them??

One guy went and bought one gets it home straps in on the bog.. turns itto power one,, doesnt think it does anything,, turns it up too the max power 13 and the dog goes bananas when he hits the button. I asked him what would happen if he did that too his kid?? "Id be in jail" was the answer.

Another guy has one and we are setting decoys one morning,, the dog is standing in the water with us.. His buddy is sitting in the blind and decides too see what happens if he hits the button,, the dog freaks out,, he was doing nothing wrong! I scream at the guy,, he says no I didnt do anything while I see him putting down the remote... that dog wouldnt freak out like that for no reason! He was real lucky I didnt haul off on him right then!

Another guy buys one because his year old lab wont listen too him as well as he would like. The dog fears the remote,, he sees it and starts shaking and looks for a place too hide. The dog listens when the collar goes on,, not because he is being corrected, its because he is terrified. I asked this guy how much time do you spend training that dog?? The answer was "i dont have the time"...
So were sitting in the blind and my dog is sitting looking out of the blind,, his young dog is moving around a bit and checking things out.. The owner says stupid dog,, youve got one more year too learn how to do this stuff or im putting a bullet in your head.. I asked are you going too train him or have him trained?? answer,, "no im not doing anymore, he came from a good breeder from good lines,, he should know what to do.."
I said you might as well shoot him now, and save your self a years worth of dog food! No,, he gets another year.. I said ok in a year when your ready too shoot him,, call me up and ill take him. I gaurantee I get that dog in a year and 6 months later he will be a very capable dog, but then again I will put the time into him!

Honestly its not the tool,, its the user! too bad too many people are willing too use these things instead of taking the time too train because its theEASY way! As far as im concerned when they sell them,, they should come with 2 collars,, one for the dog and one for the owner,, put a collar on both so every time the dog gets hit, the owner gets hit as well! Were not talking trial dogs here where creeping is a problem,, were talking working dogs that may do 50-100 real life retrieves a year. Hour and a half a week for 6 months and youll have a very capable dog!

Old 01-09-2007, 10:48 AM
Fork Horn

SwampThing,

I couldn't agree with you more when some of these people use them to correct there dog when the dog has no idea of why it is beng corrected. The e-collars are great though (like you said) when used the right way.
I apologise for going after ya like that in my first post. My bad
Old 01-09-2007, 10:52 AM

hey swamp its probably just a kid talkin out his a$$,,hell if hes 3 yrs old he should be a finished dog anyhow on a hunting stand point. well on a better subject you killin ducks up there now..this weather is so messed up..

Quick Reply: Waterdog!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.