HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Quick question for NY hunters..envolves AR's
Old 01-18-2007, 11:47 AM
tsoc
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Quick question for NY hunters..envolves AR's

What is materializing in this conversation is indicative of how hard is to effect any kind of change.To accomplish that we all have to be close to being on the same page.We have to determine what in fact what our priorities are in some sense so that we can pursue something meaningful.
In Ulster county we need more ECO's they are spread way to thin and poaching is rampant.The unfortunate thing as one gentleman has said we all know folks whose illegal activity is so commonly accepted by themselves that they don't think they are doing any thing wrong.The blatant poachers include some pretty unsavory,low life kind of folks.Am I going to risk the safety of my home or family,for something that likely wont get responded to or wont be able to make stick?
The recently retired ECO in our area is a client and a friend and I have tipped him off about a number of things in the past.He asked me to testify in one instance and I refused.For the reasons previously mentioned.One of the known poachers in our area was a former crack addict,do I want a person with that mind set knowing who got him in trouble.
The mention about how business's are effected by shortening the firearms season is understood,although I would still be a proponent of cutting the season to a one week period of time.In our area that is when the business's see most of their activity any way.
More enforcement,check stations,one buck limit,one week firearm season.That's the direction I would choose to go.