HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bullet Placement
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2007, 07:47 PM
Dixie Rebel
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bullet Placement

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

A debate that leads neither party to agree but I'll play along. I for one don't advocate head and neck shots b/c it is the one part on an animal that moves the most and often without warning. Also the fact that most don't consider their true zero when aquiring the target of a within range animal can make the perfect hold and shot to be misery 1 or 2 off can be a big deal on a neck or head shot. I have seen botched head and neck shot, it was enough for me to take this placement out of the question. It has nothing to do with ability but rather respect for the animal in my case. I consider myself a decent shot but shooting off a bench means nothing in the field IMHO. All it tells me is my scope is on and what I am capable of under little pressure. Yeah it is a confidence boost to bang out .5" groups but thats it. WhenI hit an animal in the lungs the feeling is much better than measure CtoC after a range session and I have yet to try to figure out if I hit within an 1" of where I was aiming. Notched tag and no suffering are allI need to go home happy.

As far as wasing meat, that is bogus the amount of meat that comes from the ribs of the deer isn't worth the worry. Butcher one and you'll see their is more meat off the neck then the ribs!!

I agree with your co-worker larger room of error makes the vitals a higher % shot and the best one to take. Put a bullet into any portion of the lungs and you have a filled tag. You can't say the same with aslight missof the neck or head. Oh itprobably will kill them but you might not be the one doing the eating[&:]!

Just my pennies worth
I absolutely agree 100%. I couldn't have said it better than Skeeter 7mm. He is right on the money. I don't believe in head shots because of the reasons he clearly outlined.