HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I've changed me mind about wolves!!
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2007, 08:52 PM
MinnFinn
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I've changed me mind about wolves!!

Idaho hunter 58- I don't particularly like your condescending tone there bud.
Just to set the record straight you assertion that"timber wolves" are some smaller cousin of the gray wolf or coyote. Timber wolves are gray wolves. Believe me, growing up and living in Minnesota, spending a whole lot of my life in northeastern MN, where the timber (gray) wolf population is as high a concentration as anywhere in the lower 48, high wolf populations + deep snow = little of no deer and very low moose calf/fawn survival, even in moderate weather years.

I've seen and talked to others who've seen them take down big healthy bucks and moose. I've seen the slabs of deer hide bigger than your open hand that they've pulled off a deer that somehow managed to slip away to live maybe another day. And I've seen the carcassed of many many deer that they ate only the prime cut of meat ofand left the rest and went to kill more. To say nothing about farmers and ranchers who loose many head of livestock to these uncontrolled very large, effective predators at killing.

We in MN where timber wolves have been all along HAVE had federal officers and unofficial "experts" force this over population of wolves on us. They've fought us for years now long after gray wolves passed the recovery goal and now are nearly double that goal in population from delisting the dang things, just so our state DNR and some people in the areas where the wolves range with some first hand knowledge can effectively manage their numbers. Only then will we get away from the wild swings in high deer followed by extreme levels of wolves, down to seeing very few deer after a couple tough winters and big kill offs by the wolf packs, etc. etc.
State and local control, not elimination is what'll work. All other busy bodies need to get busy minding their only state's wildlife and get out of mis-managing ours!