HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - should i go elk hunting (is it worth the price)
Old 01-12-2007, 08:06 PM
MinnFinn
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: should i go elk hunting (is it worth the price)

If you have trouble justifying paying a full price outfitter the first time, I recommend you find a exceptionallyreliable hunting buddy who has hunted Elk a number of years with success.

That's how I got into Elk hunting 4 years ago. Man I was amazed by the whole experience. I realized this was a whole other level of hunting, Elk in the mountains.

You better be in the best shape of you life. Have the equipment you need to get in and out safely (e.g. the right clothes, solid built boots, rifle you can hit in tight groups out to 300 yards, GPS, etc. etc.) You'll work harder than you'd ever worked before just to get up and down the ridges, draws and mountainsides. And if you're fortunate enough to drop an Elk, you'll work even harded to get the animal out. But that's the good kind of work that you'll remember.

Think about safety and not only how to get in, but how to get out of where you're at. You need to hunt with at least one other experienced guide or hunting buddy.

But if you do it right, with the country, animals and possibility of seeing/shooting an Elk, you'll be back!