Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 should i go elk hunting (is it worth the price) >

should i go elk hunting (is it worth the price)

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

should i go elk hunting (is it worth the price)

Old 01-11-2007, 08:18 PM

Default should i go elk hunting (is it worth the price)

i have always dreamed of becoming a big game hunter
and i was thinking of going elk hunting but from the prices
it might not be worth it . i think it would be an awesome experiace
but im not for sure

Old 01-11-2007, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: should i go elk hunting (is it worth the price)

If you really wanted to go bad enough you would know, right??

I hope to go again sometime soon and I will pay what it costs to go, you don't have to spend the huge price of going through an outfitter or guided hunt.. You can go on your own and save some money..

If ya got the money and the time do it..
Old 01-11-2007, 08:50 PM

Ditto demo.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:20 PM

If you have both $$$ and time off to do it .
I,d go in a heart beat .
Have you shot or huntedany big game yet ????
Make sure you practice shooting and get the best pair of binoculars you can afford.
Range finder , good clothes and boots a plus............
Dont forget to have fun , get excited and enjoy every minute of the outdoors .
The seasonseventualy come to an end.[8D]
Old 01-11-2007, 10:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well only you can deceide if it is worth the price or not. I am really lucky to have elk in my home province and hunt them on yearly basis. They have become my favorite animal to hunt and I have given up days chasing other game forelk. IMO nothing compares to the sound of a bull elk and the thrill in trying to get within their space.Not only are they fun to hunt but eat good as well.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:26 AM

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

Well only you can deceide if it is worth the price or not. I am really lucky to have elk in my home province and hunt them on yearly basis. They have become my favorite animal to hunt and I have given up days chasing other game forelk. IMO nothing compares to the sound of a bull elk and the thrill in trying to get within their space.Not only are they fun to hunt but eat good as well.
I couldnt have put it much better. I think nothin gets the adrenaline pumping more when you are within 100yards of a buglin bull, really a moment you wont forget and nothing much more exciting in the world of hunting IMO. So it is really up to you but i guarantee it will probably be an experience you will never forget.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wanted to elk hunt my entire life, finally for my wife and my 15 year anniversary we went elk hunting together, was to be my once in a lifetime trip, made better by sharing it with my wife. We went to Idaho in Sept, chased bugling bulls around, beautiful country had a blast. That was my once in a lifetime trip.

going back this Sept for my third trip, wife coming again for her second trip.

elk hunting bugling bulls with a bow is as good as it gets!
Old 01-12-2007, 07:25 AM

You can plan a elk hunt in Colorado and do everything yourself , get a cheep cabin or motel room or campout.there is a lot of public land out there and yes there are elk on it.if or when you go when you get there visit the local hunting store and talk to the locals sometime they can point
you to a good area to hunt.A buddy and i did this very thing about 6 years ago out in carbondale,it was hard hunting due to the altitude change we hunted 2 weeks and it only cost us 2000.00 total for the trip and i got my first elk a 4 x 3 bull.it was the best hunting trip to date. yes it can be done but hard.you just have to want it bad enough.anything is possible.good luck.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:45 AM
RMA
Fork Horn

Skeeter and Mathew hit the nail ON the head. Once you do it you CAN'T stop. NOTHING sweeter than a bull elk bugle in the forest.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you have trouble justifying paying a full price outfitter the first time, I recommend you find a exceptionallyreliable hunting buddy who has hunted Elk a number of years with success.

That's how I got into Elk hunting 4 years ago. Man I was amazed by the whole experience. I realized this was a whole other level of hunting, Elk in the mountains.

You better be in the best shape of you life. Have the equipment you need to get in and out safely (e.g. the right clothes, solid built boots, rifle you can hit in tight groups out to 300 yards, GPS, etc. etc.) You'll work harder than you'd ever worked before just to get up and down the ridges, draws and mountainsides. And if you're fortunate enough to drop an Elk, you'll work even harded to get the animal out. But that's the good kind of work that you'll remember.

Think about safety and not only how to get in, but how to get out of where you're at. You need to hunt with at least one other experienced guide or hunting buddy.

But if you do it right, with the country, animals and possibility of seeing/shooting an Elk, you'll be back!

Quick Reply: should i go elk hunting (is it worth the price)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.