HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Do you target bucks every time afield?
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2007, 06:02 PM
GregH
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Do you target bucks every time afield?

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

Do you guys go out hunting every time with the intent and focus on killing a buck?
Yes..... A big buck. I have observation stands and look for bucks coming out to feed in the summer. So for opening, I hunt a food source in the evening. After a week or two, I take it easy and get things done around the house and make spot checks for a couple of weeks. If my scouting reveals a big bucks bedding area, I start crowding it around Oct. 17th or so. If not, I wait until the 20-25th of Oct. and start hunting funnels between doe bedding areas.

From what I've found, it seems that the 3 1/2s start getting restless before dark and start prowling. This is a good time to set up close to his bed in the evening. Then, around halloween they start bumping does pretty good. From then until Nov. 7th or so,The 3 1/2s and some 4 1/2s are really moving. From Nov. 8th through Dec 10, the biggest ones move a bit. At this time you'll see some of the more spirited 3 1/2s with broken racks. Who did that? It is always possible to see a giant at any time, but I see, on average, the biggest bucks later in the season. I've got my theories on that also.

So, I hunt bucks until I get one then its doe season. If I don't get a buck then I shoot does during gun season or after Dec. 15th.