HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - delayed gratification
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2007, 07:30 PM
whitetailsoldier
Fork Horn

Default RE: delayed gratification

here's my thinking:
I hunt frequently, I have seen most likely an average amount of deer. Some were big some little...all shapes and sizes. Out of the respect for the deer I let the smaller bucks go. Hopefully they will pass on their seed and be become bigger as the years go on.I was raised musky fishing, the relevancy is its always fun to catch a musky, but when I landed a thirty pounder, my thought process changed. that was the goal..to reach my goal was outstanding. It was the best feeling I've ever had. Those bucks are potential. Does it matter if a few are taken here or there(probably not). But every time I see a small buck I know the struggle he's gone through to get there. The odds he's had to face..against man..against nature. I don't want that bucks life to stop short for someone's pleasure for just this season. Delayed gratification is what I named this thread. Setting your goals is what this sport is about...I have no right to tell you what your goals should be. I did get a pretty good rise out of you guys. IL bow season ends tomorrow! I'm going out from 4:30am-probably 6pm. If I see a small one..Less than 100"...I'll let him go. Hopefully he'll make it a couple more years. I realize a button this year will be a trophy when my kids start hunting. My point in this whole thread(besides starting sh*t) Is to explain if you truely understand and respect the deer you'll let them reach their potential. As far as 100" goes I'm sure that will change as i become a better hunter. I'm not a very good one, Second I say 100" because that deer has probably passed on his gene, he is definatly a good buck. no one is asking you to only take the pope/youngs just give the young ones a couple years!
I'm out-
Sorry to those I've offended I'm sure theres alot.