HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Conclusion to 'nother Weather Test
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2007, 01:44 PM
sabotloader
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 'nother Weather Test

Day 3 - Temp 39 Humidity 76%

Well, the rifle is out on the deck - but it is really a nice day. No adverse weather expected today, just a really nice day.

I am still quite confident that the gun will shoot and will shoot normally, but I do have to work tomorrow so the gun will be inside all day. Just kinda like a normal hunting week for me. I do not think it will get back out until Thursday and on Thursday through the week end we are suppose to be in a Arctic cold mass. It will be out in those temps and maybe i will get to shoot it next week.

After re-reading Cayugad experiments - I ma really leaning to the theory of humidity not condensation being the probable culprit. I can not imagine the humidity that Cayugad is talking about because I guess we do not have it. As you can see our humidy as been stuch around the 70% mark.

I have also discussed with myself, how can humidity adversly effect the powder sealed in the barrel between the sabot and the face of the breech plug? I know that water running down the barrel to the sabot will eventually get by the sabot and to the powder - so why can't humidity do the same thing. Unlike a PRB or a lubed Conicla humidity is not sealed from the powder. Next in the case of the Remington, insterting a 209 primer into the breech plug does not seal water from the powder either, so again if water can get there why not humidity? In the case of the Omega where the drop block pressures the 209 primer into the primer it might provide a better seal and Knight spent a lot money developing a primer carrier that solves this problem also.

Underclocked through a challenge out to do the same experiment with a White and a #11 breech plug. In my coversations with Doc he assures me thathis #11 BP and a #11 cap will be sealed - hunt with it is a downpour and the cap will go off. So - conclusion no humidty or water will get to the powder , of course with any #11 cap you can seal it in numerous ways. So - next conclusion with a sealed #11 and a PRB or a lubed conical the gun will sealed - humidity will not get it.

Question? can you totally seal a sabot?

Just rambling...