HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - A quick bow setup how-to...
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2007, 05:11 AM
Straightarrow

Default RE: A quick bow setup how-to...

I agree with TFOX on this one. I don't own a laser, but the best shop for tuning in my area, has one. It sits in a drawer unused. I remember when he got the laser and was using it. One day, I noticed he was eyeballing his initial setups, so I asked why he wasn't using the laser. He said he couldn't trust it and had to fine tune some bows on the range. Since he couldn't rely on it for all bows, he found that he comfirmed the setup on the range for all bows, and was wasting time with it. He also said with a particular manufacturer, 95% of the bows will have centershot within about 1/32" of a particular distance, so he would just check it with a tape measure. He would attach a rest and a nocking point and have the bow real close within about 2 minutes.

I found that a guy who does this for a living can eyeball or measure a setup extremely close before range tuning, and a guy who only occassionally has to setup a bow, is spending a lot to save a few minutes of adjustments before going to the range for final tuning.

Personally, I just can't imagine trusting the tune, without going to the range to verify it, so why bother? One thing for sure, you can get a perfect tune without lasers or levels. Then again, gadgets are cool and if someone wants to own them, then go for it.