HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Any powerbelt users or bullet experts??
Old 01-01-2007, 03:19 PM
Gruntr Huntr
Fork Horn

Default RE: Any powerbelt users or bullet experts??

ORIGINAL: bowhunterjohn

I started using the 295 grain hollow point powerbelt bullets. I had great luck with them, shooting a less then 1 1/2 inch group at 100 yards. I shot 6 deer over the next 3 seasons with the combination. Never had one of them run farther then 65 yards, in fact 3 of them piled up.

This season I wanted to flatten out my trajectory beyond 125 yards. I went to the 223 grain aero tip powerbelt. This year I shot 5 deer with that combo from 24 yards to 82 yards. No problem as long as I put it thru the shoulder or hit the opposite shoulder.
My hunting partner used the same combo and shot a buck on opening evening of shotgun season. He double lunged it and it bled ok at first, but soon went to drops. THen nothing. Luckly it was on a trail that worked back to a main trail and we found it about 200 yards away.

Then my son shot a nice doe last weekend of shotgun out of my blind at 55 yards.
Looked for 2 hours and found no blood or deer. Then two weeks later while making new paths thru the horseweed with my four wheeler I found her about 175 yards from where she was shot. The hit was a little back, but still she should have been bleeding.

My question is should I go back to a hollow point? or a heavier bullet? Or should I go to a 245-250 grain hollow point for an inbetween compromise?

I rarely have the opportunity to shoot beyond 125 yards.

Any suggestions or comments would be great
All the shots you have talked about were less than 100yrds. You even state that you rarely have the opportunity to shoot beyond 125 yrds. If you want to knock deer down and recover them, then it seems obvious you need to shoot a fatter or heavierbullet, or, at least one that expands better.A bigger wound channel will lead to more blood-letting for a better blood trail, and, the impact to the deer will put it down quicker.