HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Seasoning a barrel ??
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2006, 10:41 AM
sabotloader
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Seasoning a barrel ??

LnWolf

"Conventional modern day wisdom" says you can not really season a modern day steel barrel as you might season a iron barrel of the old days.... If you have seen the old black iron frying pan - one thing old timers, and myself, would would be to season the pan so that it would not rust and things would not stick to it. The fact is you very seldowashed it with soap and water you just wiped it out and set it aside til the next time.

Again"conventional wisdom" says NO!, but since I am not all that conventional in a lot of things - I think you can, to a certain extent treat, your bore so that is less suseptible to fouling.... All metal have pores and if you get those pores open you can fill em... I beleive everytime you touch a powder charge off you are filling to some degree the pores in the barrel with powder residue as this residue build it creates fouling.

The staff member you encountered was probably referring the "seasoning" as a process of treating the bore with something like bore butter, natural lube 1000, lard, or any other non-oil based product.

Hope this helps a bit....