HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Arrows...What do I need to do?
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2006, 10:24 PM
PAstew

Default RE: Arrows...What do I need to do?

Okay Big,

Lets try to get this straightend out for you.

The string is too long. A longbow string should be 3" shorter than the distance between limb nocks and a recurve should be 3 1/2 to 4 inches shorter.

I got the picture and it is a fast flight string. Remove the bottom string loop from the bottom limb nock and twist counter clock wise. Probably 15 complete turns. Try to get a brace height of at least 7 1/2" to 7 3/4". This will increase the bows draw weight and get it closer to its' peak performance. You will have toadjust the string nock after as well. After, replace the 100 grain field tip, too light, with 150's. I also saw a rest on the stike plate. If you are shooting vanes then the arrows must be perfectly spined. Other wise the arrow will never arch, paradox,around the bow enough for the vanes to miss the rest or strike plate/shelf. If you can, use arrows fletched with feathers.

The reason an arrow must be spined correctly to a traditional bow is becausethe arrow must bend around the bows riser in order for it to not come in contact with the bow. This is known as archers paradox. If it is under spined it will bend too much and the fletchings will kick to the left and hit right. If it is over spined the arrow/fletchings will hit the shelf/strike plate and fly all over. I'm sure that is what is happening to you.

The vanes are a problem because they do not flex enough like feathers to allow minimul interference with the shelf/strike plate or rest. Feathers bend enough to not cause too many problems. You can also try to shoot with the cock feather in. This might help. But like I said before, those arrows may be too short and too stiff of a spine for them to ever tune properly.

If you can return them, order them with feathers and 30" long. That way you can tune better by increasing the tip weight. Increasing the tip weight decreases the arrows spine. At 30" you can probably use 150 grain tips and they should fly well.