HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Arrows...What do I need to do?
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2006, 07:16 PM
PAstew

Default RE: Arrows...What do I need to do?

Big,

Don't worry about knowing all. You're just starting out and it is a new experience.

4 7/8" is way too low! A recurve usually starts around 8" in brace height. If the bow is 57", how long is the string? It should be close to 53". Can you take a pic of the bow and send it to my PM? If an archery shop sold you the string andput it on for you they should have known it was too low.

Is the string black with re-enforced loops made of a synthetic material? Or, is it light brown and yellowmade of a thin linen string? Does your bow have tip over lay's? They would be glued to the front ofthe bowstips.

Satisfaction guaranteed?Call and return the arrows. They screwed up, BIG.

The reason I'm asking about the string material is it will make a difference in what arrow spine you may need.If it is a fast flight, you can go up in spine weight because the material transfers more of the bows stored energy to the arrow. If it is a flemish, then you need to be very accurate in spine weight.

Unlike a compound, it is important to tune your arrows to the bow. You should cut one arrow in 1/4 inch increaments until it is properly spined to the bow. That is to say, until you can shoot a bare shaft arrow, with a field tip, to 20 yards. And that arrow should hit the target and not wave while in flight. Study this web site to become familiar with the tuning process.

http://www.bowmaker.net/tuning.htm

I hope this helps you out, Big.