HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How often do you clean your breech plug?
Old 12-19-2006, 03:04 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: How often do you clean your breech plug?

ORIGINAL: HD Road King

Does the Teflon tape clean out of the threads pretty easily or does that require a brush with metal bristles. I have been reading a few posts on the care of the breech plugs. Is the Teflon tape the same as the plumbers tape or is there a reason to use the name brand (T/C tape)? Cayugad, what type of grease are you applying over the tape?

Mike
When I soak the breech in the hot water, a simple old tooth brush will take the tape off almost 95% of the time. Then I like to put some dish soap on the plug and with the brush scrub that into a nice foam. Then a simple rinse and the plug is spotless.

I use the cheap white teflon plumbers tape. Remember, nothing says you can not put on two thickness of it if you like. As for the grease I apply over it, at Wal Mart they sell a grease in the Automotive department called Slick 50 One Grease. This is an excellent breech plug grease. I used to use a product called CVA Slick Breech Plug and Nipple Grease, that IMO was the best on the market. So then they of course changed the stuff and it is not as good as it used to be.