HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 10- Team "10 POINT" Offical Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2006, 06:41 PM
jmbuckhunter
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Official Team 10 Point

I went over to IL hunting today. Saw 2 does and a young one from my stand about 80 yds away. Then I took the long way back to the truck to check out the woods, since I haven't been there in a while. While sneaking along a ridge I hear a deer snort. Look over and see a nice buck bounding over the hill. The ridge leads down into a big ravine and there are rubs everywhere. There are a lot of small hard maple trees there. I bet 50 trees are tore up in an area the size of my house. I sat there this afternoon but didn't see anything. I think it was early season sign. But I will keep that area in mind for next year.

I also visited my friend the taxidermist. He has about 200 deer to mount so far this year. The biggest is a 188 incher taken the first week of bow season. Tons of racks over 150 inches. And lots of really large bodied deer with huge necks. He is down somewhat this year because the second shotgun season came on the weekend we had the ice and snow storm. People could not get to their hunting areas. Some of that area got 14 in of snow.Hopefully that means more bucks left for next year.

One of the neighbors to the farm I hunt got a nice 10 point with bow between the 2 shotgun seasons. It scores 152 in.