HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - The Last Straw
Thread: The Last Straw
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2002, 10:31 PM
Wholehog

Default RE: The Last Straw

Hey guys,
Thanks for the replys so far. I agree with both of you and have already tried the advice you both gave. I used to be on a lease and thats the reason I got my own place. I decided I'd rather have my own place no matter how small than deal with people who profess to be trophy hunters until the sun comes up opening day. You wouldnt believe it. A buddy and I got on a lease a few years ago that sounded and looked good. It was 2500 acres on the river at Graham up by Possum Kingdom. When we got on we were told it was a trophy hunting lease and that the other 8 hunters were all trophy minded as we were. Opening morning came and I saw a nearly tame yearling buck deer whose rack was smaller than my two hands put together with fingers stretched out. He just stood about 25 yards away from me for what seemed like a long time and looked at me. He wasnt scared he was just curious. At lunch everybody was back in camp telling what they saw and I made the mistake of saying what I saw and where....you guessed it. When I got into camp that evening that same buck was hanging from the meat pole. I was mad and went over to the fire and the group around it and asked who shot it. "I did" said a nice guy who got up and came over and shook my hand while introducing himself. I told him I didnt remember meeting him or seeing his name on the lease and he said " Oh, I'm not on the lease I'm Joes brother in law and I'm just out for opening weekend." I decided then and there that I would have my own place even if I could only afford a half acre. I am a working man not rich by any standard but Thank God I'm able to afford the little place I have. I wish I had the $$$$$$ ya'll were talking about to have my own big place but until then I can afford a fence. My place is the thickest I've seen and I think I can keep the fair chase in it if I leave it as thick as possible. I just can't stomach feeding and passing up deer for somebody who has no inkling of management to shoot at 6 months old.