HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Smokeless Savage 10ML
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2006, 07:51 AM
TerryM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Smokeless Savage 10ML

The question I have is are you a ML'er that wants to hunt or a hunter
that wants the best available method that is legal. Without a doubt the Savage is far superior to Smokers, But I like the Smoke.
Redclub
To answer that question: I am a hunter who is looking for the most effective tool to take advantage of our late muzzle loader season for deer up here in Ontario. It runs the first week of December so we hunt in freezing rain and usually a foot of snow. The other advantage to a muzzle loader is we can draw some easy early season bull moose tags during the rut. So you can see where I'm coming from. The ability to launch 300 grain Barnes bullets at over 2000 fps means you can take moose out to 200 yds easy and long shots are also quite possible in the deer cover we hunt. So to sum up I'm not a died in the wool black powder fan, just a guy who likes to maximize my hunting oppurtunities. As for the fear of smokeless powder, I have been reloading for all my centerfire rifles for over 20 years and understand all the caution needed to safely use the stuff. Not all that different really, just no cartridge to hold the powder.